Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzle loader condensation >

Muzzle loader condensation

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzle loader condensation

Old 10-27-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Muzzle loader condensation

I am concerned about moisture build-up in my muzzleloader after loading.
Should I load the nite before, wait til just before hunting, keep the gun in the house after loading, load it and put it in the p/u the nite before? I have been told that bringing a warm rifle outside into cool, damp conditions is asking for condensation trouble. I shoot a T/C Black Diamond and hunt
where ML season is usually mild, say lows in 40-50 range but humidity is high in the early am. Anybody have exp. with this potential problem?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzle loader condensation

I also own a Black Diamond XR. Humidity can be a problem but in your temperatures I do not see it being serious. The main thing is keep the rifle dry. I would be sure and swab the barrel with a pure alcohol patch and then a dry one before loading. Load as normal in the house or where ever. If you suspect it is going to be raining you might want to cover the end of the muzzle with some method to keep water from running down the barrel. There are many methods to do that. I am guessing you will be shooting the 209 primer, so you are going to get a large ignition blast to begin with. You could wrap some handi wrap around the exposed breech if it is raining but make sure you do not block the striker from working.... In fact I would practice the method you want to use to make sure the stiker slides fast and true.... When you bring the rifle into the house, be sure and store it muzzle down... That way any condensation that might build, will run out the barrel...
Old 10-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello rwilson,
Something I've always done the night before and/or after I've just cleaned and before loading is blow a cap off. This will insure any moisure from cleaning or other minute debri is blown out of nipple/breach plug area.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You WILL NOT get condensation taking a warm rifle outside in the cold.

You WILL get condensation taking a cold rifle inside a warm house.

Some people will leave their guns outside if they are going back out soon.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I am not an expert in physics but I do know that when I take my warm camera into the cold to take a picture I get condensation on the lense. Also, since warm air can hold more moisture than cold air it would seem to me that taking a gun or any other object from the warmth to the cold would squeeze the moisture out of the air surrounding that object and thereby create condensation. Again, I am no expert.
ORIGINAL: livbucks

Old 10-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I load mine the night before, leave it the house, take it out in my soft case in the morning(law to have gun encased before legal hunting hours) and then take it out go hunting. I leave my soft case unzipped and open in the truck, after hunt into the case and into the house. I will let it climatize slowly in the case then take it out and store open muzzle down. Never had any rust or problems with this method. Personally leaving it the truck here with dew or frost I am not sure it would be a beneifit, not to mention the drive out in a warm cab. I have always found warm to cold leaves little mositure but vice versa it become evident.

If wet I tape my muzzle with electrical tape and in heavy moisture will seal the breech as mentioned. Also following the hunt in these condition I have took no chance and dumped the load and cleaned. Even if going the next morning. In dry conditions I have left it loaded for weeks with no effects on shooting or rust signs.
I don't use any bore butter, etc, just clean with hot water or at the range a windex/water. Follow up with alcohol, dry patches and when store coat the barrel with good quality gun oil. Remeber to remove before shooting to ensure pressure is not to high!

If this method is incorrect I have yet to see any effects in a number of years be it rust, pitting or accuracy loss.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckeye Mike

I am not an expert in physics but I do know that when I take my warm camera into the cold to take a picture I get condensation on the lense. Also, since warm air can hold more moisture than cold air it would seem to me that taking a gun or any other object from the warmth to the cold would squeeze the moisture out of the air surrounding that object and thereby create condensation. Again, I am no expert.
ORIGINAL: livbucks

What you are saying is contrary to the laws of physics. Condensation forms out of warm moist air that comes in contact with a cold enough surface. Take my eyeglasses for example. When I leave the house on a very cold day, no fog forms on my lenses. When I return to my warm house with freezing cold lenses, they fog completely to the point I must remove them until they warm up. I have never had my scope fog when going to the outside on a cold day but it will always fog when retuning to camp with a cold gun. If fog formed on your scope when you went outside on a cold day, the fog would soon enough freeze and your hunt would be a tough one. I've never had that happen. Good thing...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:16 PM

Yes...remove a coke, bottle of milk, etc from the refridgerator and set in on the kitchen counter...it'll be covered with condensation in no time;

Put a warm can of coke in the fridge and it remains dry;
Old 10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not an expert in physics but I do know that when I take my warm camera into the cold to take a picture I get condensation on the lense.
Buckeye Mike

You need to find a drier place to store your camera indoors. Someway-Somehow... you are either keeping it in moisture-developing container/case/box or storing it near or in a humid environment/room.