Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot my first deer with high powered loads >

Shot my first deer with high powered loads

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot my first deer with high powered loads

Old 10-22-2004, 08:35 PM
bigcountry

Default Shot my first deer with high powered loads

I have been shooting muzzleloaders for a decade with the same ole 95gr of pyrodex and 240gr XTP. But this year finally found some good accuracy (around 2") with 3-777 pellets and 250gr barnes expander moving well over 2000fps. I hunted all day on Thursday with no horns and decided to get some table fare, and shot a doe at 40 yards with this load. All I can say is wow, it was devastating. Blew a 50 cent piece hole out the side of her. Blood was spatted on the trees, but she made it 50 yards down the hill. Inside it looked like she was shot with a 270win. Lungs was melted, heart blew to pieces, and extreme trauma to liver, and pancreas. I like it. Never seen some damage with my ole load for my old blackpowder loads.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot my first deer with high powered loads

That is sure good to hear. I am hunting with Barnes Expanders in my Knight Wolverine this year. Glad to know that what I will be shooting will get the job done.

Amazing though, all that internal damage and they still manage to run that far. Deer are one tuff creature....

Congratulations of the venison. Sounds like you have some excellent eating in your future.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:50 AM

Nice Bigcountry. It is amazing that deer can run that far after being hit.
When we going shooting?
Old 10-23-2004, 06:56 PM
bigcountry

G2, anytime would be fine with me. Going to roast a whole hind tomorrow. Can't wait.

G2, do you ever hunt in Blackwater? Didn't see a thing yesterday there.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:59 PM
bigcountry

Yea guys, I can't figure out these critters. They say the only thing that will make a deer die in its tracks is one, a spine shot, two, a head shot, or three, if you shoot them in the heart with the heart on a compression stroke, that shoots blood to brain, causing instant death. Go figure.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:23 PM

Where is Blackwater?
I have been hunting some public land called Slacks and Woodbrook. Also went to WSSC once this year and a couple of private land tracks. Been mostly going to Slacks. There is a big one there that I have seen the past two years. He's at least a ten, maybe a twelve. He must be smart because he's still running around. I did heat a ML shot on Friday. Maybe someone got him.
There is a big ten pointer on my friends property also but I haven't hunted it much. Trying to let him have a fair shot at that buck. He also has two small eights and a couple of fours. We agreed to let the eights go this year since we both have gotten nice eight pointers there. I'm a little disappointed with the size of the does though. Every one I have seen has been small.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:12 PM

Opened alot of new land on Eastern Shore...wend down for early ml....seen alot of white tails, and turkey, no sika.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

Hrtshot, where is this new land your talking about?

Old 10-29-2004, 07:27 PM

bigcountry Congrats on the Deer !! But I've shot Deer with 50 & 54 cal. for 35 years only had 2 ever run.

One of them I shot at 120 yards with 54Cal. Patch and Ball,Lung Shot.The other one 20 yards coming at me,same Rifle,shot going in one end out the other,but got one Lung and Liver.He ran 100 yards down hill.

oneshot 1