Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The best muzzle loader ever... >

The best muzzle loader ever...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The best muzzle loader ever...

Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 AM

Default The best muzzle loader ever...

If you HAD to purchase a new muzzle loader, but your budget only allowed a maximum of $500, which gun/scope combination would you purchase? For whitetail and hog hunting.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Spike

Default RE: The best muzzle loader ever...

Knight disc elite-

It'll shoot sabots and it will shoot big conicals. All with deadly accuracy.

And a close 2nd-
White 97 U-Mag, same as above
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 AM

Any of these 3

Knight KRB7
Knight Disc Extreme
Knight Elite ( hard to find any more )

All 3 are super shooters Sub 1" - 1.25" groups @ 100
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I gotta vote for the Omega, I've been very pleased with mine. Rght now is a good time of year to find them on clearance at Walmart. Go with a Nikon Buckmaster or Bushnell Elite 3200 and you should still be under $500.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a hard question. Just because the rifle is a time tested rifle that was one of, and still is onr ofthe best selling most dependable rifles ever.. It would be a Thompson Center Omega. Not the Z5 model but the better grade, the standard Omega with a stainless steel barrel. Those can be found for around $350.00 after that I would add bases, Warne QD rings, and a Nikon Pro Staff Scope. That would keep you under the $500.00 limit.

There are some other excellent rifles out there, some of them are discontinued or untested fully in the muzzleloader market. Others are the older technology and while that does not bother me, it does bother others. These rifles include the Triumph, KP-1, KRB, and some others. You living in Florida, you can shoot sabots. Omega's are real good sabot shooters. A stainless steel model with a good Nikon Scope would be all the rifle you would ever need.

If the rifles that have just hit the market interest you, then do consider the Triumph, KP-1 or the KRB7 all of them I am sure would work and be a great rifle. They are just hard to recommend right now. I personally do not own any of them. I still shoot the older technology style rifles with excellent results.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I would buy this rifle http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=KRB607C

and I would put this scope on it http://www.natchezss.com/category.cf...odID=BH882732M
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, dollar for value I believe its hard to beat a Z5 Omega, especally the one with the thumb hole stock[stock is improved] to make a real step up from it I would go to the Triumph or the prohunter the new Knight is also very good; but if you go with the Z5 thumb hole you will have enough left for a good scope. I would recommend a Bushnell in either a Trouphy or the 3200 if its for hunting a 2X7 is hard to beat because it has a lot of lumes at low power which makes it work well at twilight time. Lee
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

One of Knight's Disc extremes or elites...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know this is going to make everyone cringe...

But the best ML I have and the one I would continiue to hang on to is a Remington 700ML - actually two of them. But as Cayugad said this one has been discontinued - but I refuse to discontinue mine.

I do not have any exprience with the newer more modern ML's like the Triumpg or Knights K series but I can only imagine that they are really nice guns...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 AM

I like my Rem 700 to! I do wish it was the SS model. Maybe one of these days I will find one. My rem 700 shoots as well or better than any of my other ML's. It has a GOOD trigger and feels like a centerfire. And it looks like one to. I used it a lot this year and I had forgot how much I liked it. I am torn between the grey laminate and camo laminate Richards thumbhole stock. If I ever make that decision and get it finished I think I will love it. I do like my Omega and yes it is a little easier to clean but I am retired and I have the time.I think the "easy clean" lingo did as much for TC as the word "Hemi" did for Chrysler

Quick Reply: The best muzzle loader ever...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.