Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Want a High Powered Rifle >

Want a High Powered Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Want a High Powered Rifle

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Default Want a High Powered Rifle

What is without a dout the best quality rifle out there that will group out to about 450 yards in like an inch or so. I want the best quality because im a firm believer of you get what you pay for. Caliber doesnt matter because it will be for target only. Mabey somthing that will be good for Deer and Elk when I get out west in a couple years. I was thinking somwhere about a 7mm round. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Want a High Powered Rifle

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

1" at 450? ya ever shoot at 450? can you shoot a 1" group at 450 yards if the rifle is capable?
will you show me how?
RR
+1
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

just dont think its possible and at least a 5000.00 rifle at least
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Apparently with he doesn't know enough about guns to shoot 1'' at 450 yards.

It would have to be a second custon beause he would have to burn the barrel out of the first building up enough skill to shoot 1'' at 450 yards.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 PM

Well its pretty clear I dont know much about high powered rifles, What is the average group at 450 prone. Like I said this would be mainly for target shooting. Im on our schools rifle team and can clean a target prone, 100.10, set the school record. Just want somthing with a little more kick then a .22. And im shooting like a 4500.00 .22 so I was planning on spending that or more. Is there a way to buy a custom rifle somwhere?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Average rifle at 450 will shot 6''-10'' a good custom rifle will do 2''-4'' some can do the 1'' you want but its alot different them shooting 100 yards. Look for a custom gun maker with a good reputation and they can do it for $4500. Check out Allen Percison Shooting.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Well its pretty clear I dont know much about high powered rifles, What is the average group at 450 prone. Like I said this would be mainly for target shooting. Im on our schools rifle team and can clean a target prone, 100.10, set the school record. Just want somthing with a little more kick then a .22. And im shooting like a 4500.00 .22 so I was planning on spending that or more. Is there a way to buy a custom rifle somwhere?
Tell you what...Now I really hate to part with it, but I have a couple of daughters in college, one's getting married and another is pregnant, so money down here is tight...

I've got a custom, .243 with a Shilen target barrel...The trigger is set at a crisp 2 1/2 pounds, she is free floated and piller bedded, the action has been bedded, lapped, squared and trued...The scope is a Leupold and she has been sent back so it's parallex free and adjustable for both windage and elevation...I've killed about 175 deer with this gun and never missed a one...I've killed them out to a ranged 350 yards...If you do your part, all your bullets will be touching at 300 yards...You won't find a better rifle...

I truely hate to part with her, but if you really want this fine a rifle, they don't come cheap...

I'll take $5,300 for her...Just let me know how you would like to send me the funds...

Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

a 5 inch group at 450 yrs would be great shooting but i still would think more in the 7 to 10 inch group and hope no wind
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to be serious target shooting, take a long hard look at the Tubb 2K rifle. Its one of the best centerfire target rifles ot there. Get one in 6.5 creedmoor and you'll have long range ballistics better than a 300 magnum with recoil less than a .308. It will set you back abot $5000 once you get the rilfe +sights. Worth it, I wish I had the money for one. If its target shooting you will be mostly doing with it, there is no reason to compromise and buy a hunting rifle and trying to pound a square peg in a round hole.
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16269

Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

If you are going to be serious target shooting, take a long hard look at the Tubb 2K rifle. Its one of the best centerfire target rifles ot there. Get one in 6.5 creedmoor and you'll have long range ballistics better than a 300 magnum with recoil less than a .308. It will set you back abot $5000 once you get the rilfe +sights. Worth it, I wish I had the money for one. If its target shooting you will be mostly doing with it, there is no reason to compromise and buy a hunting rifle and trying to pound a square peg in a round hole.
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16269
Thank you, I will be looking at that rifle for sure, It looks a lot like the comeptiotion air rifle I shoot.

I'll Keep you guys postest but I wouldnt buy till the whether turned better here or I move down South.

Quick Reply: Want a High Powered Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.