Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

savage 10ml

Old 10-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Spike

Default savage 10ml

looking in to buying one...any of you guys have any good or bad about these guns???
Old 10-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: savage 10ml

You really opened a big thing here. You may not know but someone blew one up this year and the talk won't stop. If you are buying because you like the Savage trigger or you like bolt actions or you just like the looks and plan on shooting black powder or synthetics only I would say fine. If you are planning on shooting smokeless in the rifle I would say watch your loads and powder selection very carefully. Also you will have to watch for any erosion of the breechplug face and primer area which may lead to problems with smokeless powder in this rifle. There is some piece in the primer system that has to be replaced after several shots; or so I was told, you might check on this also. I was going to buy one but after checking and finding that I cannot use smokeless for hunting in Arizona I decided to go with the T/C Omega and have not regreted the decision one bit.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Spike

how about any pet loads?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:55 PM

I have a Savage ML 10 II SS and laminated stock. With a 3.5X10 Tasco World class plus scope and leather sling, it ways 12 lb. It is a bear to lug around. But it will shoot 1" groups all day, if you let the barrel cool at least 10 min. between shots. I shoot 44gr. Accurate 5744. Hornady 250 gr. SST and Federal 209A primers. I killed a deer with it last week at 230yd.
The only difference between my Savage and my T/C Encore is, the Savage is smokeless and my Encore is 2lb. less.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its fantastic rifle. I just got one last month and I am crazy about it. I have the camo stock with ss barrel and camo scope nikon 2x7. Its proving to be incrediable accurate also. I have to shoot black power or substitute do to living and hunting in NJ so I am using H 3f t7 and its doing fine so far. Clean up is easy so far just remember to keep the vent liner clean and the breech plug clean. also with t7 3f get some anti sieze compound the gray stuff and pink teflon tape and the breech plug problems are a thing of the past. Here is a link that will get you all the info on this rifle and here others who are fanatical about the savage like I am.

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

You will also get other links from there so explore all them for a while and if you decide to get one you will want to sign up and talke and ask questions too. Its a great gun you wont be disappointed at all.

Good luck

Brian
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Henry Ball Ltd. Savage 10ML II. It will shoot a single raged hole @ 100 yards with a 50/40-260 grn. Dead Center bullet over 45 grns. of AA 5744. I took a small doe with it in SC 2 weeks ago. If you get one, you shouldn't be afraid to shoot factory recommended smokeless loads. The one that blew up reportedly had at least 7,500 shots fired through it. I'm guessing that at least a handfull were "warmer" than what was factory recommended. If you decide to get one, don't be foolish, just stick with the tried and true, and you'll do well. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Spike

ok i got one and love it shot a 8 point with it at 100 yrd drop him in his tracks this thing will shoot
Old 10-24-2004, 05:44 PM

Thats GREAT news hcu. I too have one that is about to get a workout next weekend in preparation of our 1st mzzldr opener in 2 weeks. I have a black on black MLII with Accu-trigger and a VXII 3x9x40 atop it. I already have a 2# can of VihtaVuori N110 that I intend on starting out with 42grns worth and going up from there. The 110 should just sling 300grain SSTs like nobody's business.

Who says ya cant whack em @ 300yds with a smoke"less"pole, lol.
RA

ps
All that and NO mess to deal with when ya get home, man Im crappin in bed with BOTH eyes wide open!!!