Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Narrowed down to 3 guns, what do you think? >

Narrowed down to 3 guns, what do you think?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Narrowed down to 3 guns, what do you think?

Old 10-22-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Narrowed down to 3 guns, what do you think?

I've got my selection narrowed down to 3 guns, the traditions pursuit lt ($160), H&R Sidekick ($160), and the New Frontier Beartooth ($99).
What is everyones thoughts on these 3 rifles and which one i should purchase?

Also, I've never owned a muzzle loader before so what all do I need to fire and clean it?

Anyone know any good loads for any of these guns?

Anyone know any good scopes for them? I'm thinking the bushnell banner 3-9x40 circle-x reticle, aye or nay?

I'm also wondering how difficult it would be to switch a scope back and forth between two guns? (a shot gun and a muzzle loader)

Thanks for all the help, its much appreciated.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Narrowed down to 3 guns, what do you think?

I have no idea on any of these smokepoles, for me I love knight muzzleloaders, thompson center next, both excellent firearms, both have excellent customer service. Scope I have the Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on my smokepole
Old 10-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Of the three rifles you mention I would have to go with the H&R Sidekick. My reasons are;

The Tradition's Pursuit just came out and I would avoid if for that reason alone until I was sure all the bugs were worked out of the rifle. Also not enough posts are on the rifle to give one a good idea of how well it is working for everyone. It takes time for them to break down. Also I have heard that the triggers on the Pursuit are not all that great. Many of them need trigger jobs and Traditions is working on a better trigger.

The Beartooth Magnum... who makes it? What is really known about it? How many favorible posts have you read on it? Granted the price is nice but do not always buy on price.

The H&R Sidekick on the otherhand is made by an excellent company that has been in business making this kind of action on rifles and shotguns for many years. I have read some excellent reports on the trigger pull of the rifle being outstanding. I have shouldered the rifle and it is very well balanced. I also liked the fiber optics sights on the rifle I was looking at. I have also read posts of great accuracy with the Sidekick and the Huntsman.

Being the style of muzzleloader your picking they should be a little more cleaning friendly then some of the others out there on the market. Also the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope is an excellent choice. Good quality and excellent light gathering. I was looking at one with 6" eye relief, but decided to go with a RED DOT instead since scopes are not legal in Wisconsin....

The H&R should be an excellent sabot shooter with the 1:28 twist barrel.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Pursuit Lt and the trigger as delivered was totally unacceptable. I did my own trigger job and it is acceptable now but if you aren't ready to do that I would stay away from it for now. Traditions service was offering to fix the rifle but I didn't have time to ship and receive before hunting happens. You might consider looking at CVA Kodiak Magnum. I have handled one in a store and it looks pretty good for the money. It is a close copy of my T/C Omega which I really like. Try to get someone to let you try the triggers on any rifle that you are considering. I tried the Kodiak by letting the hammer fall on my thumb (ouch). Trigger seemed pretty good.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the H&R sidekick, you wont be dissapointed those others are cheaply made especially the beartooth its feels so cheap in your hands its not even worth it. Besides the H&R side kick is made in the USA the others are made in spain. That is enough reason for me to choose the H&R over the others.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Look at Cabela's, they have the Kinght DISC Elite for sale at $259, turn in the $50 rebate and you will get it for $209, buy with the $20 Christmas catalog coupon and that drops to $189! On of the most accurate ML' s ever manufactured for $189 brand new!

Here is the link Knight

Of the 3 listed though, H&R hands down...
Old 10-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at Cabela's, they have the Kinght DISC Elite for sale at $259, turn in the $50 rebate and you will get it for $209, buy with the $20 Christmas catalog coupon and that drops to $189! On of the most accurate ML' s ever manufactured for $189 brand new!
Now that would be a hard deal to pass up
Old 10-23-2004, 03:34 AM

Here is the link Knight
And also no longer available, apparently,[] on their web-site.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

That ad goes up and down like a yo-yo... try calling Cabela's and give them this item # 4IS-21-4990. I ordered over the phone and they took the # and then asked whether I wanted .50 or .45 cal. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 AM

their sold out

Quick Reply: Narrowed down to 3 guns, what do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.