Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage 10ML

Old 06-11-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Savage 10ML

Just got my Savage with laminated stock and Accu-trigger.......have a Leupold Vx II on it......i will be going elk hunting this fall......anyone know the maximum effective range for elk using this package?
Old 06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Savage 10ML

Don't know about the particular gun but you had better check the regulations in the state that you are going hunting in.

If going to Colorado you will not be able to use smokeless powder in that Savage nor will you be able to keep that scope on your ML.

Also if you will be using smmokeless powder be very careful when working up a load as smokeless powder will give you much more pressure than black powder will. It also creates a much bigger change in pressure with a minimal change in charge weight and bullet weight/ type. Black powder and its substitutes are not nearly as sensative to these changes in loads.

Maximum effective range will depend on powder charge, bullet weight and design, velocity, your personal skills etc.....
Old 06-12-2004, 05:05 AM

thanks for the advice........i will be hunting elk in wyoming as a non-resident (i live in iowa)........haven't had a chance to work up any loads yet (unfortunately, work keeps getting in the way of having fun).......i've read that if a guy spends enough time practicing at 300 yards, you can reasonably expect to take an elk at 300 yards with this gun........sounds like an awfuly long way to me........the other problem, my local range only goes out to 200 yards.......so trying my hand at 300 will be difficult........

[8D]
Old 06-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Try some N110 (43 to 44.5 grs) a 250 sst or barnes bullet,using win primers.and see how yours shoot.My buddy just got the new one with the cameo stock,started out with 44.5 grs of n110 and barnes bullet(250 gr ) put 4 In the same hole at 100 yds.Mine is the older model but we both shot 1 in groups @200 yds.
Don't know about elk but for deer some here say that they took deer at 29oyds+
Good luck with your savage.
Check out the savage muzzleloader boards.
If you cannot find N110 the IMR 4759 gives about the same speed using 43 to 44 grs.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also if you will be using smmokeless powder be very careful when working up a load as smokeless powder will give you much more pressure than black powder will. It also creates a much bigger change in pressure with a minimal change in charge weight and bullet weight/ type. Black powder and its substitutes are not nearly as sensative to these changes in loads.
I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment of the dangers of smokeless powder in the Savage 10ML-II, and in fact I would counter that using smokeless is SAFER than BP and subs. In fact, I believe that the Savage is the safest ML in existance today, ESPECIALLY when used with smokeless powder. Why?

First of all, the Savage 10ML's barrel is proofed to 129,000psi (that's 129 thousand, no typo). That pressure is twice the pressures generated by most CF magnum rifles. You'd have to pack a crapload of powder into the barrel before you'd hit those pressures, but the pressure levels won't ever get that high as long as you're using the projectiles listed in the manual. The Savage 10ML clearly indicates the use of .45cal bullets and high pressure sabots ONLY when using smokeless powder. Even high pressure sabots won't stand up to more than about 50,000psi before the sabot blows out and vents off any additional pressures right down the barrel. The worst that could happen is gas cutting and of the sabot, tons of plastic fouling and possibly bore erosion, but the sabot will blow long before dangerous pressure levels are reached.

In addition to the above, smokeless powder itself is actually MUCH safer to handle than BP and subs. BP and most subs require little more than a tiny spark to light them off, and as such require brass (which doesn't spark) or plastic powder flasks and measures. Smokeless, on the other hand, requires intense heat to light it off, meaning that it's far more stable than BP. And if uncontained smokeless does ignite it simply burn intensely but progressively, unlike BP which can effectivly explode when ignited in excess air.

I will admit that when I first heard of the Savage ML10 being able to use smokeless powder, I was skeptical of the wisdom of using it in a muzzleloader. In fact my first thought when I heard of it was that it was only a matter of time before some jackass dumped 100 grains by volume of smokeless powder down the barrel and proceeded to blow himself, and anyone standing next to him, straight to kingdom come. But still being curious I did some poking around and found the following articles by Mr. Randy Wakeman, a man who's fairly well versed in the realm of muzzleloading and from what I can tell, his opinions are well researched and thought out. After reading his articles detailing the ML10 and exposing the myth that it is unsafe (probably perpetuated by Savages competitors), I'm convinced that the Savage is the best built, and safest muzzleloader on the planet today.

Here are four articles written by Randy Wakeman that convinced me that the Savage ML10 is not only safe, but actually safer than any of the other ML's on the market today. See for yourself.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/instant_slamification.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML10.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_10MLII_accutrigger.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML_FAQ.htm

Mike
Old 06-13-2004, 10:01 PM

thanks for all the links to that info.......haven't had a chance to work mine up yet.......won't be able to get out to range until sometime in July (will be gone for a couple of weeks on vacation)........sounds like it won't only be fun, it'll quite safe too.......

Old 06-26-2004, 07:38 PM

Does anybody know if I would be allowed to use smokeless powder in my Savage in New Mexico for muzzleloader deer season? Thanks..

Vinny
Old 06-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cousinvinny,

The short answer to your question is no. New Mexico is apparently one of the states that regulates the types of powders that may be used in a muzzleloader, despite the fact that no matter what kind of powder you use it's still a muzzleloader. You're stuck shooting the cruddy stuff, sorry.

The following excerpt was taken from the New Mexico big game hunting regs PDF available at http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us

Muzzleloader Firearm

Include rifles and shotguns in which the charge and projectile are
loaded through the muzzle. Only black powder, Pyrodex, or an
equivalent substitute may be used. Legal muzzleloading shotguns
are those capable of being fired from the shoulder only. Scopes may
be used on muzzleloaders. Use of sabots is legal.
Mike
Old 06-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only black powder, Pyrodex, or an
equivalent substitute may be used.
Although, if you got caught using smokeless powder, I suppose you could argue that smokeless powder is legal under this definition because smokeless was, and still is, the first and ultimate black powder "substitute." Smokeless powder was being used as a substitute for black powder almost 100 years before Pyrodex was invented. You'd probably still get the ticket, but you'd be fighting the good fight!

Mike
Old 06-28-2004, 08:25 PM

http://www.dream-tool.net/tools/mess...gemuzzleloader Try this for all you want to know about the savage muzzle loader

Quick Reply: Savage 10ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.