Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Front sight

Old 10-01-2004, 04:24 PM

Default CVA Front sight

I have broken off two front sights for my CVA Eclipse. Does anyone know where I can get just the front sight at? I don't want to buy both back sight and front, cause I already have two other back sights. I wish I could find a metal sight so maybe I could quit breaking them.

Thanks
Chad
Old 10-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Front sight

On my CVA Staghorn Magnum I cracked the fiber optic part of the front sight soon after buying the rifle. I took some clear see through package strapping tape and taped it back on until I could get around to fixing it. That was a year ago, and your post just reminded me, I have to fix that sight!!

I done the same thing on another rifle and fixed it the same way, but bought a different fiber optic sight for it. The problem is a number of the fiber optic sights are all made from plastic and especially when it is cold you have to be so careful not to bump them at all. All the CVA did was slide a short distance along the wall before I grabbed it, and that fast, it was cracked.

You might want to look into a quality front sight made of metal. I think some of them made for the Lyman rifles are metal. It might require some special drilling or tapping to install them. Otherwise you might have to make due with what is offered out there.

Maybe it is time to mount a RED DOT scope. I put one on my Knight and really enjoy the accuracy and shooting it.... (kidding of course.. you want a sight)
Old 10-02-2004, 08:16 PM

Default RE: CVA Front sight

Yeah my wife said "why don't you just put a scope on it"? I don't want to because I enjoy the open sights. If I wanted to put a scope on it, I would just hunt with my rifle. I would like to get a metal front sight, if I can find on to fit it. I just don't want to take it to a gun smith and spend a bunch of money.

Chad