Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

break in

Old 09-07-2004, 02:01 PM

Default break in

How many shots do you think it takes to break in a barrel.I have a 50 cal magbolt shooting sabots would round ball speed up process.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: break in

roundball or some all lead conicals would be a good place to start. The REAL conicals would fit that requirement just fine. I would start with 50 of them. After that use some JB bore polish and give the barrel a good going over. JB's will remove any nasty stuff in the bore of the barrel such as lead, etc. Then give it the cotton ball test if you have any doubts. See if it pulls fibers from a cotton ball when pushed through the barrel.

Good luck with your rifle....
Old 09-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: break in

What cayugad said.

Shooting sabots will never break it in..................it'll take patched ball, conicals, bore paste or a combination of them to do it.