Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

break the law

Old 12-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Default break the law

How many people in here follow the PGC manual to the T when it comes to the laws?Like shooting hrs. Would you shoot a nice buck before the shooting hrs if it was right in front of your stand and walking away from you?And how many hunters stays in the woods hunting and looking for deer up to 20 to 30 minutes after shooting hrs when you can still see 100+ yrds from the snow on the ground?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: break the law

Well I for one had a bear in my scope at 35 yds opening day. I had a bear permit and let him walk. There was still 45 min. till shooting time. Couldn't brag about an animal that was poached. But iI hear shooting all the time before legal hours.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be honest...I don't follow the hours to the T. I mean, in the morning the times are pretty close to when it is safe to shoot, BUT in the evening...they really need to go 1/2 hour past sundown. It's just riduculus how early it is. I don't go shooting off way before, but I mean if its only 10 min or so, then I'll take the shot.

Basically, I go by when I feel I can make an ethical shot that is not impeded by the light conditions. Honestly, I really don't even pay attention the the times during archery. But during rifle, I'll look them up to make sure that I'm stopping pretty close to them. Even after the hours end I still end up sitting in my stand till dark, just to see what I see.

I really think thay should go to 1/2 hour past sundown...the timeswould be much better that way.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:27 AM

I agree 308 on your ethical shotand on it should be 20 to 30 min after sundown. Jerseyhunter,How canyou see a bear at 35yrds away in the morn at 45 min before shooting time with no snow on the ground when the morning hrs are close to when can actual see the game at? You got a night vision scope? But you still have lots of day time after the end of shooting hrs up to 35 minutes atleast till you can't see 100 yrds.And that is adding the +minutes for your region also. I think alot of people don't want to admit it on here because they lectured other people on the law and don't want to be hipocrits for them breaking a law also.But,I was just curious how many people on here was honest and would admit to it. JerseyHunter I think your full of BS. If I seen a bear at 35yrds away before shooting hrs he would have lead flying at him if he gave me a good placement shot.And most people who have never bagged a bear and hunted them and know how hard they are to even see one would of takeing that shot.Unless you are one of them who gets one every other year. But I would say 99% of the hunters in Pa. would of takein that shot on that bear if they could of seen it before shooting hrs.Especially at 35 yrds away.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 AM

I also havehunted and have shot game after shooting hrs.But the shot was there and it presented good placement of my bullet.
I would of shot that bear before shooting hrs. if I seen it.I would still be proud of it and be boasting and bragging about it even before or after shooting times.Not with a spotlight of course.
I would be braggin about one if I hit it with my truck and killed it. LOL
Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 AM

i have shot after hours and before if that bear was near me he would have been dead
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Follow the rules. It is easier in the long run.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think it's the brightest thing to admit to breaking the law, or to admit to potentially breaking them if the situation presented itself.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: battle buck

How many people in here follow the PGC manual to the T when it comes to the laws?Like shooting hrs. Would you shoot a nice buck before the shooting hrs if it was right in front of your stand and walking away from you?And how many hunters stays in the woods hunting and looking for deer up to 20 to 30 minutes after shooting hrs when you can still see 100+ yrds from the snow on the ground?

Use your judgement!You want to be asportsman or just beconsiderd as a shooter?Your call!!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Well said Southern Pig man.

Quick Reply: break the law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.