Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Roundballs in a fast twist barrel? >

Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

Old 08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

My wife has voiced a desire to deer hunt with me this fall, and would be doing so with one of my muzzleloaders (I'm hunting with a handgun this year), but she is fairly recoil sensitive and needs an effective 100yd deer load that won't beat the snot out of her.

My first thought was to try using patched roundballs because they are absolutely devastating even at moderate velocities and are light enough to keep recoil down. Unfortunately, both of my ML's have fast twist (1-in-28") barrels, so the question that comes to mind is would I be wasting my time trying to get accuracy with RB's out of a 1-in-28" barrel?

I don't really want to buy balls, lube and patches just to find out that the loads won't group.

Another associated question would be...are there any inexpensive slow twist percussion guns (sidelock is perfectly fine, just not a flintlock) in .50cal that I could pick up for her to use this year?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

What does a 50 cal. roundball weigh?

I think you can find a sabot load that will come real close, so recoil would be similar. Go with a lighter powder charge if need be, to reduce recoil. Let her practice with a lighter load, then if you think you need to, increase it for hunting. You probably won't need to adjust your sights/scope too much for hunting, but make sure they're still on. She won't feel that shot at game anyway.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

175-185 grains generally.

Mike
Old 08-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

how about the sabots that hold roundballs?? theres alot of options...i dont know what a rb would do in a fast twist barrel?...be more accurate because it has more spin? or have to much spin and spin off wildly? i agree though a patch and ball kicks alot less then a big ole bullet.....i cant wait to get whacked with the recoil from a 350gr maxi soon.....brass buttplate and all....i could handle 295gr powerbelts though....im built for recoil.....theres alot of options for light recoil in the ML but dont know what will work best out of your guns being i have a 1:48twist flinter.....good luck
Old 08-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

CVA Bobcat

This might be the answer to your problems. A CVA Bobcat is a .50 caliber sidelock rifle with a 1:48 twist. They generally shoot round ball very well and conicals also. You could load this with about 65 grains of Goex FFg and a patched round ball and keep her shots under 75 yards and she should be fine. You could also remove the back butt plate and fill the hollow plastic stock with some lead and construction foam to add some weight and balance the rifle better and take the recoil out of it if she is recoil sensative.

I have a Mountain Stalker in .54 caliber which is made by CVA and is the same thing as the Bobcat. I was shooting mine today in the yard with 80 grains of Goex FFFg and a patched round ball. This is not a load you would want your wife to shoot. These rifles are light and they kick a little if you get the powder charge too high.

They are a light (which is why I bought it... for stalking) accurate rifle. I took three deer last year with this rifle shooting round ball. I did throw a cheap set of fiber optic sights on it. This is an excellent shooting little rifle actually. Although mine does not seem to like conicals but with round ball it will tear a bulls eye out at 50 yards all day.

Another option is to go to some of the on line auction sites and look for a .50 caliber CVA Hawkins. Some of them can be picked up for a little over $100.00. They are heavier so the recoil is not there, and are normally good shooting guns that function well. The only thing is your buying a used gun. Although I have bought a number of auction rifles and so far all of them have been excellent.

If you went with an inline, and loaded a 200 grain SWC and 90 grains of Goex FFg the recoil would not be too bad. I have a Staghorn that I shoot that load out of when I want to plink. I am sure that it would take a deer still but actually I would prefer a larger projectile....

You could always load some of them down to 70 grains (which has no recoil) and see what kind of accuracy you would get. He is a site where you can look at some cheap projectiles like round ball, etc...
Black Jack's bullets

Your inlines might shoot round ball by the way. I shoot round ball out of my Knight Wolverine II with good accuracy. I would not shoot 100 yards with it, but 50 would be no problem. The trick with the knight is to drop the powder charge low, so the patch is not pushed to fast causing it to skip the rifling.....
Old 08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought ,try lighter bullet in a sobot and lower powder charge . Like a 200 gr soboted 44 bullet with 80 gr of 777 as a example . My cousins kids have used a simelar load and they were 12 and 13 last season.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use this bullet below with 70 grains 777 FF or 75 grains Pyrodex P. It loads easy & is pleasant to shoot. My grandson's favorite combination deer hunting. Your wife's distance will be good to 125 yards.

Thompson Center Mag Express Sabot/Bullet 180 grain
Old 08-04-2004, 08:03 PM

well....u could load down for her to target shoot and get used to the rifle and then go out by yerself and use a normal charge and see how many clicks u gotta move on the scope to get it zeroed with the higher charge. then wenever u go huntin load the gun for her with a normal charge and reset the scope and she wont even know....

the adrenaline will be pumpin wen she shoots the deer so she wont even feel it.,

ch312
Old 08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

well....u could load down for her to target shoot and get used to the rifle and then go out by yerself and use a normal charge and see how many clicks u gotta move on the scope to get it zeroed with the higher charge. then wenever u go huntin load the gun for her with a normal charge and reset the scope and she wont even know....
You're not married, are you?

First of all, to do this would require me to deceive my wife, which I have no intention of doing. Secondly, while she would never feel the recoil with the deer in her sights, she bruises easily and would certainly feel it later and I'd have to either lie to her again to cover up what I did, or fess up and tell her the truth, either way I'm digging myself a bigger hole. Third, if she leaves the field with a bruised and sore shoulder she may not want to hunt again, and worse yet it may be the thing that causes her to develop a flinch. Lastly, it just isn't a very nice thing to do to someone you love and care about. I want her to remember her first hunting experience as a good one. I don't want her to always look back and think about the bruise she had for a week afterward.

So no, I will not deceive her and send her out into the woods with a full throttle load.

Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 06:54 PM

sry bud i thought that u wrote that she has hunted be4 and didnt know she brusied easily.

no im not married cuz im only 18 but have been with my girl for 4 years and been livin with her for almost 2 years. i would tell her the truth afterwards and she might get mad....but who knows i guess.

my gf is actually gettin me to teach her how to shoot properly with a .22 and then she gonna try the 12 gauge. i think im gonna buy a youth model 20 gauge for her....and me for rabbits....

sry bud i was just givin a suggestion. tryin to be more funny then serious

ch312