Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Conicals And Fast Twist Barrels >

Conicals And Fast Twist Barrels

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conicals And Fast Twist Barrels

Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Conicals And Fast Twist Barrels

Wondering if anyone shoots Conicals in fast twist barrels here.I used to love shooting Hornady Great Plains bullets
in my old New Englander 50 caliber but it had a 1 in 48 twist to it.My new Remington has a 1 in 28 twist and before I buy any Hornadys to try would like to know of the results you have had shooting conicals in the newer fast twist barrels of today.Leaning toward Barnes sabots but I will not overlook a good old conical like Hornady plus they are also cheaper.Thanks for any feedback! Mike
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Default RE: Conicals And Fast Twist Barrels

powerbelts, great plans, maxiballs, maxihunters, bullshops conicals are some that ive shot out of many muzzys with 1:28 twist.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:38 AM

Mike

I shoot the BullSope Conicals out of my Knights and they all have a 1:28" twist Super accurrate
I have allso shot the HGP - TC - & PB all shot great.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

if I remember correctly you havea Genesis? You will probably only get fair results out of it shooting conicals. They are like the TC's in that they have the QLA and some of them don't like conicals. Mine I can get decent results out it. Good enough to hunt with out to 100 for sure, but nothing like the way it shoots sabots. I can get most sabots to shoot around an inch at 100. The best conical I could get was a .504 460 Bullshop at that was about 4 inches. You may fair better than I did, but so far that's the only thing I have found I don't like about my Genesis.

It may shoot Powerbelts though. I never tried as I'm not fond of the bullet. If you do decide to give them a try ask Frontier Gander about how he suggest you shoot them. He's done a lot of testing w/them.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Wondering if anyone shoots Conicals in fast twist barrels here.I used to love shooting Hornady Great Plains bullets
in my old New Englander 50 caliber but it had a 1 in 48 twist to it.My new Remington has a 1 in 28 twist and before I buy any Hornadys to try would like to know of the results you have had shooting conicals in the newer fast twist barrels of today.Leaning toward Barnes sabots but I will not overlook a good old conical like Hornady plus they are also cheaper.Thanks for any feedback! Mike

Some of the fast twist inlines do a very good job with conicals. All you can do is try them in the rifles. Normally start with a low powder charge of around 70 grains and work up from there. For instance, my White I beleive has a 1-24 twist. And the White rifle is considered by many as the best conical shooting rifle on the market. Myself included.

While the Hornady Great Plains might not shoot well, there are many other conicals out there that might do better. A lot of this is a try and see theory I know, but if you want to shoot conicals, then it is worth the try.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have 21" 1:28 GMB on my TC whte mtn. It likes 385 gr grt plainsover 90 gr 3f goex.