Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Roundballs in a fast twist barrel? >

Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

Old 02-14-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

Just wondering if anybody has had any success with roundballs in 1/28", 1/32" twist barrels. Just wanting to try something new.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Roundballs in a fast twist barrel?

highck: welcome to the forum!
You might check out the thread titled: "What Rondball?". It has some info on this subject.
Seems to vary by gun. In my 1-28 CVA Beartooth, they do very well with a 50 gr charge. It has a very tight barrel, and a patched .490 ball fits real snug - that may be why it shoots well. Many fast twist barrels don't.

IM jaybe

Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Most all my fast twist rifles will shoot roundball well. The trick is not to push them so hard that the ball and patch skip the rifling. I was shooting roundball out of a 1-28 today with 60 grains of black powder and using a moosemilk patch and had excellent results. I have a scoped Knight Wolverine LK-II that shoots 50 grains of black powder and a roundball so well, I have small game hunted with it.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

highck.. by the way, Welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here. There are a lot of great people here and are more them willing to answer your questions or help you out...
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

My System One has a 1-38 twist it will shoot RB with 90 gr of Pistol P
in a 2 inch group @100yd, not bad for an inline. Lee
Old 02-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Highck-My Omega shoots RB real well. That is if you are OK with 9" groups at 75 yds.

Charlie
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting a cva hunterbolt with a 1 in 28" twist and have really good results with hornady .490" roundballs patched with pillow ticking over 60 grains loose pyrodex RS powder. at 50 yards im getting just a hair over 1 inch groups and at 100 yards im getting 2 to 3 inch groups. like cayugad said the trick is not to push them so hard that they skip the rifiling. when i originally started playing with round balls i was using 50 grain pyrodex pellets, I wanted to see how far i could push it before i start to see adverse effects on accuracy. knowing that a 50 and 30 grain pyrodex pellets together equalling 80 grains would be to much for a round ball with my rifle I switched to loose rs pyrodex which i started with a 50 grains and got better results then with the pellets I then bumped up to 60 and my accuracy improved slighlty, but when i bumped up to 70 grains my groups went to %$#@ and decided that 60 grains was the magic number.

I got in with a group in my area that gets together once a month to shoot animal silouettes competitively with ML's from 50 on up to 150 yards. The only catch is you have to shoot patched rounballs, Ive been shooting with them for 3 months now and out of the 30 people in the club I manage to stay up with the top 5 shooters. its alot of fun I recommend lookin into it and seeing if there are clubs like it in your area. Our club has a 7 dollar fee for each shoot and the coordinator of the club divies up the pot between the 1st 2nd 3rd place shooters 4th and 5th get accessories like a box of round balls maybe a can of powder or cleaning solvent and so on.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need to do more testing at longer ranges but my Magbolt 1:28 seems to like 70gr of 777 2F with a .490 RB and a .018 patch (tighter patches helped a lot). Last time I tried it I was getting 1" groups at 50 yards.

Each barrel is going to have it's own level that it likes with any given bullet so the best thing to do is go out and shoot it.Play around with the different components to see what yours likes. Think of it this way, it gives you an excuse to do more shooting.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Please see my posts on this page for FAST roundballs!!!!

Got to use sabots for ultimate speed and accuracy in the fast twist barrels IMO.

http://goexpowder.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=817&postdays=0&postorder=a sc&start=15