Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone shoot the Hornady >

Anyone shoot the Hornady

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone shoot the Hornady

Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 AM

Default Anyone shoot the Hornady

Anyone shoot the Hornady .44/50cal in the 180 gn. XTP? How did it perform at the range and in the field? I bought some yesterday but haven't shot them yet. I have been shooting the Hornady .45/50 in the 240 gn. XTP. It has performed well but I always like to try new things.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone shoot the Hornady

I have never went that light in a sabot other then for plinking and then they were not Hornady. I shoot a lot of Hornady XTP's and SST's. All of them shoot excellent. I also shoot T/C Shockwaves and XTP mag express which are nothing but a Hornady bullet.

The 240 grain XTP's with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS shoot real good out of the Black Diamond XR. Another load you might want to try is the T/C 250 grain Shockwaves. I shoot them with 100 grains of Triple Se7en for the best results. I always do most my shooting at the 50 yard range because I can do that right in the yard without any real problems. When I want to go 100 yards or further I have to go out to the big fields (lazy..)

The shot on the top was the fowling shot which always hits high. Then I had one ooops! That time the scope kissed my forehead so I was holding wrong. The other six are right were they should be.

Let me know how the 180 grain do? I am always interested in shooting different projectiles....
Old 04-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stone cold last year my hunting partner and I went in on a box he got excellent results while I ended up going back to the 240's. I got my best groups shooting 90 grains of Pyrodex with the 180's. My partner stuck with his 100 gr of pyrodex pellets. His load accounted for a mulie doe and she made it maybe 75 yards after an in n' out through the rear of the lungs, I felt the small hole might have accounted some for the distance she travelled(It looked to me like the bullet hardly expanded)! I shot a mulie doe and whitetail doe with the 240's both double lung, 1 dropped at the shot and the other muster a few steps then crumpled(my wound channels was what I have come to expect from the 240's).

Only way to know is T & E. You can always go back to what worked previously, that is what the offseason/range are for!

I am going to try the SST and deadcentre's this fall with T7. Last fall I couldn't get the 240 gr deadcentres to fly worth a hoot with pyrodex but since I have some still in my range box and having bought a keg of T7 might as well have more reason to head off an blow smoke. If all else fails I already have my go to load figured out

Best of luck!!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 AM

I read many good review on the hornady sst 300 grain sabot,I have some in 50 cal. that I would like to try in my 54 cal. thunderhawk and New englander but first I will have to change the plastic sabot.I also found that my t/c flinter shoots a sabot bullet excellent may be I will throw a few down the barrel and see how they group.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:56 PM

Best load in my .50cal MK-85 is the Hornady .452/300grn XTP/HP with 100grns Pyrodex-RS and/or pellets...dropped several deer in their tracks with it using a high shoulder shot.
One was the largest racked mature 8-pointer of my life at 165yds in a beanfield...still have that recovered bullet, expanded and mushroomed to the size of a quarter, looks exactly like one of Hornady catalog photos...the energy transfer at impact is simply devastating.