Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope, red dot, open sights??? >

Scope, red dot, open sights???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope, red dot, open sights???

Old 03-20-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Scope, red dot, open sights???

Hey guys,
Im a 100% newbie when it comes to muzzleloading and was wondering what I should put on the new muzzleloader I bought (knight Wolverine 50 cal) I think I would prefer a scope but don't have the money for a good one but found that red dot sights were quite affordable. Like I said I have no expierence in this field and would really appreciate some advice on what to do.
Cheers!!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scope, red dot, open sights???

All of my smokepoles have fiber optic sights because of personal preference ,
but I wouldn't rule out a decent scope later .
My crossbow has a red dot sight and a laser sight as well for dim areas .
My recurve has only a stick-on rest , nothing else is needed .

Each of these systems has their positives and negatives . What you select for optics depends largely on what you want the weapon to do and where you intend to do it . For open range and field shooting a scope is unrivaled , but isn't suitable for jump shooting . A red dot excels there but may lack longer range accuracy . Laser is hard to beat for spot on shot placement , but you have to guess a bit when the range to target exceeds the range that the beam is calibrated for .

For shorter ranges like 100 yards or less I like fiber optic sights such as TruGlo .
For intermediate to long ranges of 100 to 300 yards open ground I like scopes .
In close quarters or dim light I favor the laser , especially when placement is crucial and range doesn't exceed 200 yards .
My shotgun has a fiber optic rod front sight and fiber optic ring rear sight great for fast sight picture , target aquisition , and tracking .

You see , it depends on what you want the gun to do and where . For general shooting your iron sights will do just fine . As conditions and targets change you'll find what works best on your own without a lot of thinking . Know what each device can do and what your weapon can do with it and the pieces will quickly fall into place . There is no substitute for range time or field use , get the most that your schedule allows if you want to be proficient with that front stuffer .
Old 03-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I mounted a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5 X 4.5 32mm shotgun scope with extended eye relief on my Black Diamond XR. The whole setup, scope and mounts, even with tax and shipping was well under $100.00. I could not be happier with this set up. The scope has taken all the punishment my Black Diamond has dished out and functioned flawless. It has good light gathering and is very clear for the money. There are much better scopes out there. Maybe someday when I decide I really need one, I might get one but until then I will shoot this Banner.

Be sure and get a low mount scope set up. In my opinion see throughs are a waste of money. You have a 1.5 setting with the Banner and it will do all you need. I like my scope low mounted and close to the barrel. That way you get the same head position every time you shoot the rifle/scope combination.

The 1.5 power setting is good for stalking around the woods and doing quick shots (although I do not do them generally). The 4 power setting is all you would need for any range that a muzzleloader might encounter. If I was not going to use the adjustable Banner Scope, I would have went to a straight four power.

As I stated in other posts, I am not a RED DOT fan. If the choice was were magnafication was allowed it would be a scope. You have a great shooting rifle there. A solid low mounted scope on that rifle would make a great hunting rifle.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:27 AM

hey i found that you shoot what you feel comfrotable. i shoot with a screw sticking out of my barrel all it is there for is to tell me i'm pointing. keep that smoke pole burning