Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope vs open sights >

scope vs open sights

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope vs open sights

Old 01-09-2005, 04:49 PM

Default scope vs open sights

Just got my boy a Rem. model 7 in .243 No scope, this will be the rifle hes uses when he goes thru hunter safey. I just wonder if I should scope it right now or wait till he has some more experiance with it. I sure couldnt live with out one but the eyes just arent what they used to be.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Default RE: scope vs open sights

-
Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would start him with the scope as it is simpler to shoot with a scope because you only need to align the crosshairs with the target.With open sights you need to align the front and rear sights with each other and the target.If he shoots better as he will with a scope, it may be more encouragement for him to shoot more often.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:47 PM

For simplicity in the learning curve put a scope on it right away. Iron sights are tough to learn to use accurately at any length of distance. If you want him to learn iron sights get him into CMP or 4H shooting groups.

I'm a hunter safety instructor here also and I always suggest scopes. Though I would prefer lower powered. IE 4X is plenty to start with. And I'd prefer fixed so they can't crank it to 9x and then not find a deer up close when the moment of truth comes.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2005, 05:49 PM

Can't hurt to school him in the basics first - learn to shoot with open sights. Not saying he should be a marksman with open sights, but just to learn the basics of proper sight
alignment, etc. When he can put 4rounds into a 4" target at 100yds., then get the scope
(if he wants one). If nothing else, he'll learn how to use the sights, and that they could be used for backup in the rare event of scope failure in the field.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally believe that all rifles should wear glasses, unless you're looking for more of a challenge or hunting ranges so short that they're unappropriate, i.e. no longer than 75yrds. I personally would rather have a 2x42mm compact scout scope on a short range brush buster than open sights, but I don't really believe in taking running shots in thick cover.

As far as shooting with open sights being good training for marksmanship, I'm not a follower of that cult. To get the same groups with open sights as you do with a scope, yes, you do have to be a crack shot (or really poor shot with a scope), but I don't necessarily think open sights honestly teach anyone to shoot better. It's like teaching someone how to drive by plopping them down in a big rig, if he gets it figured out, he can drive almost anything, but why make it hard on them?

Giving them a scope allows them to focus on proper shooting position and technique, rather than focusing on fighting the open sights onto target. Once he learns how to shoot, he'll enjoy the challenge of open sights, and appreciate the advantage of the scope, instead of feeling like a scope is an easy cheat.

You should, of course, teach him how to shoot open sights as well, my dad gave me two BB-rifles on my 4th birthday, one with open sights and one with a scope, he'd made me shoot them equally by only letting me shoot one or the other at his choice (since he was a real father who controlled the guns and taught me proper gun handling)...I was then given a .22lr semiauto with NO sights for my 8th birthday (literally NO sights whatsoever) to teach me to appreciate sights, and learn to shoot rifles by feel and instinct. I still have that rifle, and I STILL shoot that rifle better than a new equivalent rifle with open sights.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

In this day and age there is no reason to leave a gun unscoped unless you are looking for a challenge... Make the boys life easy, put a scope on it... Leave the open sight for plinking around with his bb gun
Old 01-09-2005, 08:20 PM

If you want to teach your son to shoot with open sights, I would suggest getting him a .22lr. These are cheap enough to do a lot of shooting, with little noise and no distracting recoil. After he masters this it will be much easier to adapt to the noise and additional recoil of a centerfire rifle (mild though a .243 is.)

A .243 is capable of much higher accuracy than most of us can achieve with open sights. I'd scope it now.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scope it ,why buy a gun good for 300 yds and then handicap it in the sight department .
Old 01-09-2005, 08:31 PM

Good points from everyone. My boy has thousands of .22 rounds rounds under his belt and is fairly accurate, but all with open sights.

Quick Reply: scope vs open sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.