Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to muzzleloading, need help >

New to muzzleloading, need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to muzzleloading, need help

Old 12-25-2003, 10:21 AM

Default New to muzzleloading, need help

Hi guys, first off hope everyone had a merry christmas i sure did, my wonderful wife bought me a new muzzleloader for christmas, i am new to this so i really could yuse some advice, please, i wanted this to hunt in our early season here in Pa plus i am going to New York next year and really wanted to have a in-line for their season. Now here is what i got and any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, My wife bought me a knight wolverine with 26 inch barrel and 209 ignition with blued barrel and left hand which i am i really like this gun, but don't know what bullets or powder will work the best with this gun, a veteran die-hard bowhunter but kinda illiterate to black powder, but i am really excited and eager to learn, please help, also i would like opinions on this rifle too. thank you .
Rick
Old 12-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to muzzleloading, need help

Knight bullets & accessories work best in "overbore"Knight rifles. Barnes Bullets has a close affiliation with Knight... that's another good option followed 3rd by Hornady. You can also buy bulk Hornady bullets like XTP mags in 240 & 300 mag... just include a 50-pk of Knight 45/50 cal sabots in your purchase. I'm assuming you bought a 50-cal rifle... you failed to state which one.

There are exceptions to this when using bullets from other manufacturers, but starting-off with bullets from the above paragraph for sighting-in purposes is the correct way to get a good feel for your new rifle. You can always experiment with other bullets later. Using this philosophy pretty-much negates poor accuracy/Knight Wolverine rifle complaints had you sighted-in with T/C, CVA, Traditions, Ranier, Precision & other sabot/bullets first.

I have read prior forum threads on the web bp scene where several unhappy Knight shooters sold their rifles because of poor accuracy complaints involving range sessions with conicals & off-brand bullets. Little did they know all several were probably owners of some damn good rifles that just needed a more ml-knowledgeable owner.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW... keep that wife, thats a dandy rifle. Since you have no projectiles, you might want to try the following that can usually be obtained at a Wal Mart.

.45 caliber 300 grain Hornady XTP with a black high pressure Harvester Sabot. Start out with 80 grains of Pyrodex and work in 5 grain steps from there. You should obtain your best load somewhere around 100 grains.

As Triple Se7en said Knight bullets and sabots wil probably give you the best results. They can be ordered through Cabela's in bulk somewhat reasonable. Harvester black High pressure sabots are also good sabots.

Be sure and swab between shots. If your Knight is like my Black Diamond, if I don't swab it is almost impossible to reload some bullets.

Good luck with the rifle
Old 12-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE A .50 CAL. KNIGHT BK-92 (older model) I USE 2 50 GRAIN PYODEX PELLETS, AND A 250gr. KNIGHT/BARNES RED HOT SABOT, THIS COMBO WORKS GREAT FOR ME
Old 12-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get some 777 or 2F and some 300 grain XTP bullets with sabots. Try 90 grains of powder. Get the best scope you can afford. A straight 4X Leupold is very good. You got a good shooting rifle. Make sure you CLEAN IT after EVERY day of shooting.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

good post triplese7en. you can order bullets direct from knight
(641)856-2626
Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

The BEST load will take some trial and error. You can work this out this summer. You can find a GOOD load with a day's experimantation at a target range.

Buy some Knight bullets and sabbots or some powerbelts. I am partial to the 240 - 250 grain bullets. Start with a 90 grain load and see what kind of grouping you get. Increase the powder load until you get good groupings. Then adjust the sights or scope to hit dead center at whatever range you prefer.

A critical component to muzzleloading is cleaning. Run a patch or two every 1 or 2 shots. The at the end of the day, clean the gun thuroughly.. Be sure to use black powder solvent and not regular old Hoppe's No. 9. (Though Hoppes No. 9 can be used on the exterior of the gun.)

Don't stop cleaning until the patches come out of the barrel snow white! Look through the barrel and make sure it shines like a mirror.

Happy Hunting!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bluelk wrote a series of "chapters" for the new muzzleloader user. You can find those HERE . They are not total gospel but they were and are a very good effort by one guy to pass along some very useful information. Bluelk is no longer with us, having succombed to a form of brain cancer.

Mamaflinter also provides many useful tips on her site. You can do a simple Google search and locate that one.

Be slow, be methodical, and be careful, but have a ball doing it! Or a conical.