Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ML for small frame adult >

ML for small frame adult

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ML for small frame adult

Old 12-21-2003, 06:21 PM

Default ML for small frame adult

Are there any ml out there for small framed adults? Something with a 12 to 13 inch length of pull. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ML for small frame adult

You can purchase a T/C Encore 209x50 Muzzleloader with a Walnut Bantam Buttstock (13 3/4" Pull). Good luck.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:20 AM

I have a Traditions Deerhunter ML 50 cal flintlock rifle and it's my smallest rifle. It's also very light since it has a synthetic stock. I don't know what the pull is. I picked it up at Gander mountain in one of those ML complete kits.

If you don't have a ML and you want to start with a flintlock, small rifle, than that's one way to go.

If I were you, I would go to either a Gander mountain, Cabela's, or any gun shop that has ML's and see what fit's you.

T
Old 12-22-2003, 05:43 AM

When my son was first learning to shoot a muzzleloader he started with a T/C white mountain carbine. It had a walnut stock that we cut down and added a recoil pad. The short 21inch barrel balanced out fairly well with the cut down stock. I'm not sure who makes a carbine anymore. Most makers do have a youth model designed for shorter statured shooters.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look for an "American Knight" by Knight Rifles.

It is an entry level muzzleloader that is only about one inch longer than a Remington youth model 20 gauge shotgun. The American Knight is also very light and easy to carry.

I saw them on sale at Walmart recently for about $120.

I owned one. In fact I just sold it last week. It was an excellent shooter and very reliable. I scoped it with a leupold 3x9 Vari-X II.

I shot a groundhog with it at approx 140 yards last year.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

H&R NEF Huntsman should work nicely.

Or the new G2 209x45 Contender if you want to go upscale a bit.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the T/C White Mountain Carbine...if you can find one used. My dad gave me his when he decided he didn't want to hunt deer anymore. It's a handy little rifle to say the least. Light, short, easy to handle, reliable, more accurate than my Knight and with a nice light bullet and load it's easy on the shoulder too. I worked up a load for it with 75 grains of Triple 7 2F and PR 215gr. .40cal QT's for my wife to shoot. Very soft shooter even with the hard rubber buttplate. I think it's going out to the field with me this year instead of my Knight. It's a great little gun...like one could ever go wrong with a Thompson/Center.

Oh, and it's easier to take apart and clean than the Knight, too. I can have it cleaned, lubed and back in the safe in less time than it takes me to get the darn breech plug broke loose on the Knight. And yes, I use enough Gorilla Grease on the darn thing to choke a friggin gorilla...in case you were wondering. Tell you what, if someone wants a used Knight DISC .50cal with a black thumbhole stock, the first person with $100+shipping can have the darn thing. It's a good shooter, but I'm so sick of the pain involved with dissassembling and cleaning the stupid thing.

Sorry, gripe over...I'm gonna go see if the penetrating oil loosened the breechplug so I can clean it.

Mike