Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope sight picture at low power magnification >

Scope sight picture at low power magnification

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope sight picture at low power magnification

Old 12-09-2003, 04:27 AM

Default Scope sight picture at low power magnification

Hello all,

I have a question. I just mounted a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn rifle scope on my Omega .50 cal. It is a model 71-1545, with 1.5-4.5 x 32 magnification.

Whn I dial the scope for low power magnification (1.5), I can view the front of the barrel and front sight in the lower 1/3 of my scope view. When I dial the magnification higher, it disappears of course since it's out of focus.

The scope is mounted on low profile weaver rings and a weaver base. I had a piece of crap Pine Ridge scope that's now driving away in the garbage truck this morning, after I discovered that it wouldn't hold zero. I didn't remember viewing the barrel through the scope in this manner when I had the Pine Ridge mounted.

Preliminary boresighting with a laser device shows that the scope crosshairs are generally in line with the laser point at 25 yards.....

Is this just an optical illusion that's common with some scopes?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 12-09-2003, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope sight picture at low power magnification

Seeing the front sight or even a portion of the barrel is pretty common on a low power scope, not much you can do that I know of except put high mounts on your gun and I would'nt do that as long as your site picture don't bother you to much. The closer you can get the center of the scope to the center of the bore the better off you are IMO.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I looked at that same scope the other day at a store and was really impressed with it. I even said to the clerk that it would be my choice for a muzzleloader scope if it could take the abuse from the rifle. He then said he had the same scope on his .243 and so far there has been no problems (whether that was a sales pitch I have no idea... he seemed sincere).

On the low power it was as clear as it was on the highest power. The only thing I noticed was the scope had to be cranked real hard to move from one power to the other, but that is not a bad point in my book. I thought that on low power in the cedar groves that would really be the ticket.

I am sure you can see the front sight with a low mount scope ring. All I would do is practice with it a little and learn to get used to it. If all else fails, and you are not going to use the sights, have them removed...

Good luck with the rifle and scope. I will be interested to see how well it holds up to the shooting of stiff loadss......
Old 12-09-2003, 02:40 PM

The only thing I noticed was the scope had to be cranked real hard to move from one power to the other, but that is not a bad point in my book.
Should not be hard to turn the magnification ring. See if you can look at another...

I will be interested to see how well it holds up to the shooting of stiff loadss......
Yes, I hope it does well. I'm shooting 90 grain 777 with 295 grain powerbelts....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 12-17-2003, 03:48 PM

I also had a Pine Ridge that I sent back to Cabelas because it was Chinese crap. In it's place I also bought a Bushnell Banner to go on my muzzleloader but I bought the 3-9 x 40. A good scope that's really clear. I've had it for over a year with no problems.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I recently bought a Thompson Center Hawkin scope to go on my T/C Encore 50 cal muzzle loader. Yep, I can see the barrel on the low power if I look for it. I tend to focus on the target or the center of hte cross hairs and don't notice it then. This is a scope designed for the heavy recoil of muzzle loaders and shotguns.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell on my Marlin .444. On the lowpower I can see my front site. I removed the front and back sights. I don't see them any more and don't have any use for them. Problem solved.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I just ordered the same scope as you did willtill. I am going to put it on the Black Diamond. I got a set of low riding Quick-kee weaver style mounts made for the rifle. I intend to remove the front and back sight from the rifle. It will be interesting to see how this rifle will shoot. So far with the open sights I am kind of impressed with it.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I mounted the scope this afternoon after coming in from shooting. I think I have to take that front site off. That thing sticks up like a sore thumb until I hit 3 power. I also noticed that the front site looks a little off to the side of the scope crosshair. I hope that does not mean the scope is mounted wrong. Everything looks fine, but I never got a chance to shoot after the scope was mounted....