Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope accuracy with variable magnification >

scope accuracy with variable magnification

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope accuracy with variable magnification

Old 11-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Spike

Default scope accuracy with variable magnification

I have a 3 x 9 Nikon scope on a remington 870 shotgun. When the gun is sighted in using 3x...will the maginfication at 9x change the point of impact or will it still hit at the same mark?

If it does change the point of impact, how would you compensate for it?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scope accuracy with variable magnification

If it does change the point of impact, how would you compensate for it?
If the point of impact changes,the scope is defective so the solution is to return it under warranty.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Spike

The scope is not defective, i was just interested in finding out if the magnification changes would affect the accuracy of the initial sight in with 3x...

So you are saying that once the gun is sighted in, i can change magnification from 3x to 9x and it will hit the same mark.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you are saying that once the gun is sighted in, i can change magnification from 3x to 9x and it will hit the same mark.
Yes,if the scope is not defective and yourshoting skills,loads and rifles accuracy aresufficent.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not just check the thing yourself, and then you will know for sure how it acts.......?????????
Old 11-13-2005, 01:28 PM

It could change, but it might not be your scope. At different distances and power settings the parallax can change. So if you don't have good shooting form at a distance where your parallax is off your shot could be off. And a higher magnification may compound the problem.

However with the newer scopes we have on the market the retical or optics should not be shifting thruout the range, even with the lower priced ones. It used to be that a cheaper scope could change impact points as you changed the power setting. I haven't seen one do it in years though. And I have scopes from the 50 dollar range to a $400 high powered varmint scope.

Like said above, if yours does it I would guess it's bad and needs to be returned or replaced by a better scope. Just make sure that it is really defective first.

Paul
Old 11-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input. My shooting skills are not great unless i rest the gun against a tree or on a rail...I did try to shoot at various distances and found no change when moving the magnification, although as i said...i only can consistantly hit with in 4" of the center...using remington sluggers 2 3/4". Therefore 4" couldnt be an accurate test of the magnification,andIcouldnt conclude if there was a difference.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't say at what range your shooting at or whether your barrel is rifled or not. Maybe try a few different loads to see if there is a difference. Nikon's are some pretty decent scopes I would try some different loads.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Spike

I sighted it in at 30 yards, then 60 yards..where i hunt i cant get more than a 60 yard shot. I am using a 21" deer barrel which came with my 870. I think they say its rifled, but i think not. I was using a remington slugger 2 3/4" slug that many think are inferior, but have used them for years. Maybe I should try a better slug. I was always under the impression that slugs fly end over end and dont have the best accuracy. With a week away, and bow hunting still on, i need to wrap this up quick. I think i will try a different slug..Thanks for everyones comments!
Old 11-13-2005, 05:34 PM

Joe,

This does happen to some without any defect on the rifle, scope or ammunition. Alot of times changing from lower power to higher power your crosshairs are smaller on the target giving a better point of aim. This being said the most it should be off would be 1/4" to 1/2" max if your shooting well. When sighting in a scope for maximum preformance one should always sight it in on high magnification for best groups. Once you turn down the scope you won't notice any change on groups at all.

Quick Reply: scope accuracy with variable magnification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.