Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope magnification and reticle >

Scope magnification and reticle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope magnification and reticle

Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Spike

Default Scope magnification and reticle

Hi Forum members,

Parky here from Canada....I need some suggestions for a scope to be installed on a 52 cal Knight Long Range Hunter....Initially I had purchased a 3X9X40 leupold VX1 with the LRD reticle for this gun but am considering stepping up both in magnification and a different reticle ....Given the advertised capability of this gun I'm thinking I should look more in the 3X12 or 3X14 range. My query however is finding a ballistic type reticle that will assist with the load and bullet combinations currently available for the 52cal. I've poured over many of the forum posts on the subject and have narrowed down some possibilities...Would appreciate any feedback, good or bad. As for the VX1, I can mount this scope on mya Traditions Pursuit instead.

Bushnell Elite 3200 with the ballistic reticle...not overly fussy about the ballistic reticle, seems to cluttered...mid priced
Burris Fullfield IIor Signature Select with the ballistic plex...current favorite, price is comparable to the 3200 above (Fullfield) and slightly below theVX3 below (Signature)
Leupold VX3...only leupold model available with the boone & crockett reticle (other than the VX-L and VX-7) ...high end pricing

As for the other forum favorite the Nikon Omega Bdc..I can't say I'm fussy about the circle references on this reticle. Seems to clutter up the view through the scope.

Thanks for any input.

Parky

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scope magnification and reticle

What ever scope you decide to purchase will depend on your personal likes, dislikes, and needs. You have a 200 yard rifle (it is claimed) with practice. For that any 3-9x40mm would do the job. I think the scope you picked would be just fine, but again all of this boils down to personal preference by the shooter and finally to range time to learn the rifle and optices. Good luck with your rifle and set up. It sounds great to me.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 PM

I don't have the Bushnell 3200 Ballistic reticle but I am familiar with the BurrisBallistic Plexand the Leupold Long Range Duplex. Of the two I prefer the Burris. The leupold uses dots for aiming points and while it would work it seems less precise than the lines. Both of mine are in 3-9X40 FYI. 9X is perfectly fine for shooting at 200 yards. Remember that at higher magnification you'll see more wobble in the crosshairs.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Parky

I have 3x9's on most of my inlines - 2 with the ballistic reticule that I really like. Pesronally I think your VXI will do the job for you on big game. If you are shooting varmints then maybe a 4x12.

This past week I have been experimenting @ 200 yards with a couple of different ML's, both of them with Bushnell Elites, one with a BR and without. In most instances shooting a ML at tht range I would much prefer the BR.

When you start shooting those extended ranges with a ML you will find the exterior forces of mother nature and all the variabilities of ML shooting are really taxed, and a very smallvaribilty willmake big differences. In my practice runs I have not really used a ballistic positive bullet but I am sure it would help, I have just been using my regular hunting type bullets.

Given the advertised capability of this gun I'm thinking I should look more in the 3X12 or 3X14 range.
Remember adverstisements are exactly that - a major company throwing the bait out.... BUT make no mistake about it any ML will shoot 200 yards - there have been recorded shots out to really extended ranges with a round ball and without scopes... but most of us are not going to get it done - accurately with repeated shots.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your valued input !...As soon as the LRH arrives I'm going shopping...Parky
Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold 4.5X14 with the Boone and Crocket Reticle. That is what I have on mine. I am hoping by ML season to have her all set up out to 250 yards. Tom.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Spike

Hi TC....Thanks for your input....nice rig by the way !...Is it a 50 or a 52cal....I'd be especially interested in your bullet/powder combinations if its the 52...Also, can you confirm what size of objective and rings you have....Parky
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

50 caliber. Warne bases with medium rings. 40 mm objective. I believe I could have used the low rings. It would be real close. I had a couple of sets of Medium's, so that is what I used. Tom.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Spike

Thanks Tom......I'm going to try both heights but you are probably correct...the mediums will likely be the ones....Parky
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM

No muzzleloader needs more than a 3-9x. I've shot deer to nearly 500 yards with 5x magnification with my centerfire. At 200 yards, or even 250 yards (the outer limits of a mag charged inline muzzleloader) 9x will make the target look plenty big. As for a drop compensating reticle, you might check out the Nikon Omega with BDC 250 reticle.