Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sighting in My scope on Omega...Advice? >

Sighting in My scope on Omega...Advice?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in My scope on Omega...Advice?

Old 11-19-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Sighting in My scope on Omega...Advice?

This weekend I plan to sight in my scope on my Omega .50 cal at the shooting range. What is the best procedure for sighting in my scope? I have a bushnell 3200 3X9X40 scope and I will be sighting in with Powerbelts .295 Aerotips. Should I start at 25 yards and work my way up to 100? Thanks in advance for your time and advice!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sighting in My scope on Omega...Advice?

Here is what I do and it always works.Go to the range and from 50 yrds and on a good rest fire your gun at the bullseye on your target,then with the rifle set firmly in sandbags or a gun vise aim the gun at the bullseye again and tune the crosshairs on to the bullet hole of your first shot.This method has always put me dead on with little ammo waste.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:47 AM

What I do is I cut a piece of tar paper, almost 4x8 and put a target in the middle. Than I go to the range and place that tar paper and target at the 100 yards range. Shoot gun and see where you are hitting the target. After shooting adjust the scope and continue shootin until you are satisfied. I do this for all my rifles, scoes or open sights. Tar paper is cheap and I have fun shooting them up.

Good luck....

Tomster
Old 11-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah - I' d start at 25 yards, then jump straight to 100 once you' re dead on at 25. More than likely, you' ll only need minimal adjusting for 100.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:38 PM

I get it hittng paper at 50 yards and then move to 100, work up the best load I can possably get by trying all different bullets and powder combinations, changing only one varyable at a time then adjust to my final zero after I have the best combination.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:19 PM

Thanks everybody!! I appreciate the advice! Im going to sight in at 25 and go from there. I cant wait, it will be the first time I have shot this new omega, im new to ML.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just read an article on the one shot -- two person sight-in. Put your gun on sand bags and aim at the bull' s eye. Shoot, get settled, and aim at the bull' s eye again. Hold the gun completely still and direct a helper to adjust the scope until the cross hairs are on the previous bullet hole. The gun now shoots wherever you point it!
[X(]The only way to screw this up is to allow the gun to move or wiggle while the helper is adjusting the scope.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beware of " scope eye" using a large tubed scope like the 3200. The Omega has a small-framed stock & in my opinion, the four drilled/tapped base holes are too far rear. I suggest a moderate bullet grain/powder charge to begin with. I am still sporting a scar on the bridge of my nose after getting lacerated from the metal on the nose pads of my shooting glasses after shooting 375 grained Buffalo SSBs.... ouch!