Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Buckhunter Inline Pistol >

Traditions Buckhunter Inline Pistol

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Buckhunter Inline Pistol

Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
bigcountry

Default Traditions Buckhunter Inline Pistol

I just bought a traditions buckhunter inline pistol. does anyone know the max load/bullet combo I can use in this? I picked it up for 100 dollars. The guy told me he used 60gr of pyrodex but said I could use 80gr. Also, what kinda velocities are you getting out of this gun with 80gr if that is what you use. I shot it today with 70gr and 240grXTP' s, and got ok accuracy. Figured I need to play with the load.

Old 11-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditions Buckhunter Inline Pistol

I would not go with more than 80 gr because a short barrel like that will not be able to properly burn more than that.You may try a lighter bullet like as 180 gr hornady and a 50 gr pyro pellet to see how that will work.Good luck with it.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

What did the former owner use for best accuracy?

Did he give you the owners manual to read about powder volume restrictions?

I know the first batch that came out around 5 years ago were deeper rifled 1-20" twists suited better with lightweight conicals. The new ones this year are shallow 1-28" twist better-suited for sabot/bullets.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:33 PM

80 gr is the max for the Traditions Buckhunter pistols. I' d like to get one myself but have yet to convince my wife to let me get one. They' re legal in our handgun season here and since I have a bias against guns that aren' t front loaders, it' s the only reasonablely priced inline handgun choice. Wish more manufacturers would make inline handguns. I do have a lead on an old SS Knight Hawkeye, but I' m still undecided.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:37 PM
bigcountry

Thanks Wolfhound for answering my question. I worked some with it this weekend. Accuracy wasn' t great with 245gr powerbelts. Going to try good ole XTP' s.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:06 AM

You know what the twist rate is? The older ones had a 1/32" , the newer ones have a 1/28" (I think). I think they also experimented with a 1/20" twist at one time too. I had an old CVA with a 1/32" (rifle) that shot the 295 gr Powerbelts well. It also shot the T/C 240 XTP' s semi decently (4" at 100 yds). With a pistol though 50-60 yards is a reasonable maximum range with the lighter loads you' ll have to use. At that range it should be easier to keep it under 2-3" off of a rest especially if you slap a 1X hangun scope on it.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:57 AM
bigcountry

Mine has a 1 in 28" std twist. Sights suck pretty bad however. I have to modify them. Basically, they won' t be set any lower. So I hit 4" high at 25" . Also you have adjust the windage. Sights are pressed in. Only way to correct is to use a hammer and be gentle.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:56 AM
bigcountry

You know I just talked to the worst customer service in this industry. Thats Traditions and finally after 1/2 hour of trying got thru to them after hanging up on me the first time. Anyway, they said they recommend patched roundballs thru this pistol. Its hitting 6" to the right at 25yards and 6" high. Can' t adjust the eleveation any more and no windage adjustment.

Old 11-21-2003, 03:20 PM
bigcountry

Well, the patched roundballs worked like a champ. Open sighted and 60gr of pyrodex, I get 2" groups at 25 yards. Also fixed the problem of adjusting my elevation.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I live near the Traditions warehouse in Old Saybrook Ct. I was planning on treating myself to a christmas present in a few weeks of a Buckmaster. May find a scratch and dent at the warehouse a bit cheeper. I was hoping to use 50 grain Pyrodex pellet and a 240 sabot to keep it the same as my Traditions Evolution that shoots 2" groups at 50 yards.