Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sighting a Scope on an Omega >

Sighting a Scope on an Omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting a Scope on an Omega

Old 09-26-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Sighting a Scope on an Omega

New to board, Howdy. Looking for advice, as in does this make sense?

Scope is a Bushnell 3200 1.5x4.5 Firefly, base/rings are stainless Warner Maxima, and the gun is a new .50 Omega in stainless with laminated stock.

Here’s my plan for getting the scope rough sighted. 1. Put base and scope on gun. 2. Remove breech plug. 3. Stabilize the gun in a vise on a table. 4. Look through the barrel at a target 25 yards away. 5. Move target and/or gun until I see center of target through center of barrel. 6. Without moving the gun (or target) adjust crosshairs of scope to center of target. 7. Put breech plug in and do some shooting to zero scope.

Any help with loads would be appreciated. I have a couple different Powerbelts to try, 240 grain .44 XTP’s, 250 grain .45 Hornady JHP. I have BP, Pyrodex RS, and 777 to try.

My back round, I’ve hunted 15+ years with a .50 Lymans Great Plains I built from a kit. The Great Plains is a round ball shooter with iron sights. I’ve always shot BP and a patched round ball. I bought the Omega for those situations where a round ball just doesn’t cut it (like beyond 50-60 yards in low light).
Old 09-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sighting a Scope on an Omega

Your process for bore sighting will work fine,did mine same way.Shoot at 25 yards to be sure.Triple 7 pellets(2 50 gr.) and hornady SST 250 gr sabots,295 gr powerbelts,and 220 gr.dead centers all shot well,with Hornadys leading the way.Keep in mind if you shoot loose Triple 7 powder instead of pellets it is a hotter load and back of to 80 gr. to start and work your way up accordingly.Good luck,your going to love your Omega,I also have stainless and laminated stock.Happy shooting
Old 09-26-2003, 10:26 PM

Here is another trick told to me by a scope rep. Turn your windage and elevation knobs all the way to one end. Count the click to full turn back to the other extreme. Click back exactly 1/2 of the total clicks. You should be close.

We have a range and the 50 Omegas have been shooting pretty well. Best results I have seen have been the 245gr powerbelts and pyrodex pellets. Triple 7 has been finicky on accuracy in some guns, other love it.

BTW we use a Leupold magnetic bore sighter and it works great. Cuts down the # of shots fired to get a perfect zero. Never rely on a boresighted gun. I know thats common sense but I here all the time..." I couldn' t have missed they boresighted my rifle"

Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2003, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Now if I can just find some time to hit the range.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What you propose is called " boresighting" . It is what we all did with centerfire HP rifles in the days before optical collimators came out! No reason why it shouldn' t still work! But I recommend firing your first shots after doing this at the same 25 yards to make sure you' re on paper,and go from there, whether you' re shooting a ML or a breech-loader.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always use something farther out to center on. At night, a distant street light does the trick. One guy said he does his by looking through the hole in the breech plug! I don' t think I can see that well.