Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sighting in the Nikon Omega >

Sighting in the Nikon Omega

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in the Nikon Omega

Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Sighting in the Nikon Omega

It was a horrible day for shooting. Still it was a worse day, sitting in the house looking at the Genesis with the Nikon Omega scope sitting there on it. So I decided to brave the elements and see how good a mounting job I did.

It was snowing. It was 28 degrees above (so it was not cold). Overcast skies and no wind to speak of. I set the target at 25 yards and fired two shots. I was using 2 50 gr Pyrodex RS pellets and a 200 grain Shockwave .40 caliber bullets. I did spit patch between shots.

As you can see I packaged taped the target and with a blue marker drew an X over the old hits. The first two out of the Genesis were one hole basically. And the clean barrel hit exactly where the swabbed barrel did. I never even popped a primer to start all this out.

I then made an adjustment and fired 3&4 and that is where I wanted them to hit at 25 yards. So I then moved the target all the way back through the snow to 63 yards. I then shot one more 200 gr Shockwave and it hit next to the bull directly under the other hits. Look how small a hole that 200 grain shockwave makes compared to the Barnes Expanders.

I spit patched the barrel and shot five of the Barnes Expanders using two 50 grain Pyrodex RS pellets. That group was pretty good. They do hit lower then the Shockwaves. I can only figure its the weight and the caliber difference. I then had to test Murphy and shot #6 and as you can see, blew the group. That was all the Barnes I had brought with me.

So I loaded 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and 200 grain Shockwaves and shot for the lower right bulls eye. There were hits in that bull before but they are marked. The 100 grains of loose RS did real well with them Shockwaves.

So I upped the charge to 110 and shot for the upper right bull. Again, the rifle did real well. I had to change to my third spit patch of the day, as the rifle was getting hard to load.

I then decided to up to 120 grains. I shot the first two that actually touched. I then wanted to see if I could thread the third into the bull, and as usual did not make it. Over all that 120 grains of loose powder shows some promise.

Over all this Nikon Omega is a nice scope. Very clear. Great eye relief. Gathers light real well. And the adjustments are exact, and easy to move without tools. I really like the scope.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sighting in the Nikon Omega

Well clearly you've got yourself a shooter.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

This Genesis is a very good shooting rifle. For the price of the rifle and the price of the scope, that to me is a heck of a rifle for what is invested. This rifle shoots about as good as my Black Diamond XR. And I never thought I would see a rifle that could do that.

Also, I shot all afternoon. Other Genesis owners have complained about the cam sticking, or the cam not closing. I have no idea why I am so lucky. Other then wiping off the face and bottom of the cam from time to time, as swabbing the bore, I do very little to make this rifle shoot all afternoon.

When I cleaned it, I ran a patch with Windex (Generic brand)through the bore first. Then a dry patch. Then a Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent patch and that came out clean. So why this thing is not holding fouling with Pyrodex RS is beyond me. I ran one more dry patch after the cowboy solvent, and then gave it another treatment of bore conditioner.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

So why this thing is not holding fouling with Pyrodex RS is beyond me.
Ultra smooth bore??? I don't reacall, did you do anything to the new bore before shooting - like steel wool or a Scotch pad? Also, were your first rounds through the gun conicals?

No matter what, you're a lucky dude.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

No this rifle shot a few Hornady FPB's but never a conical. Also I never did anything like steel wool, or even JB Bore Paste. This rifle was just a good one I guess. I do wish it had the fluted barrel. I saw one of them and it really made me want one. But this is going to work just fine.

The Omega Scope was technically as expensive as the rifle. I kind of get a kick out of that. The eye relief on this scope is sure nice. I don't even worry about a scope kiss.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting and yes as always a good report.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Wouldn't mind picking up one of those rifles but I keep hearing such good things about the Omega scopes. I may have to try one some day.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting. I hope to do some soon after I get all the ice storm mess cleaned up.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I always enjoy reading your reports it makes me wish i lived in a place where shooting was convienent. A day at the range is like a mini vacation for me 1.5hours down.... shoot... then 1.5 hour home. The first trial run with my set up which my genesis has the fluted barrel was good also. But I found the 777 pellets(2).. 250gr shockwave to be the one she liked at 100yds. 5 shot groups around 6inches with only a front sandbag. Thats not to bad for me.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Nice shooting... looks like she'll handle most anything you put down the barrel pretty darn well.

I then had to test Murphy and shot #6 and as you can see, blew the group.
I have the same habit. Did it again this afternoon with the .54 New Englanderas a matter of fact. Had a 1-1/4" 5-shot group, instead of changing targets I just hadda shoot a 6th, opened it up to 2-1/2". Think I pulled the trigger a bit off kilter on that last one (that's my story & I'm sticking to it), but like your group, still not too bad.

Who knows, maybe they used a fresh cutting bit the day they bored your rifle, or a new button for the rifling, assuming the Genesis is button-rifled. I think that sort of thing is the reason why a group of people shooting the same make/model of rifle can have results varying from tack driver to mediocre (or worse). Any cutting bit will wear over time, of course any decent manufacturer will have a have a fairly tight tolerance for such equipment, but I suppose they can't afford to put a new one in for every barrel. Either way, looks like you came out on the good end of this one... sometimes you're the baseball, sometimes you're the bat!

Quick Reply: Sighting in the Nikon Omega

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.