Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight Wolverine 209 Conversion Kit >

Knight Wolverine 209 Conversion Kit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Wolverine 209 Conversion Kit

Old 11-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight Wolverine 209 Conversion Kit

My hunting partner missed a big seven point this year because his Wolverine failed to fire. I know that he probably has maintenance issues with his rifle and that he should start solving the problem by more diligent maintenance.

With that being said, I am thinking of getting him a 209 conversion kt for Christmas. Do any of you have experience with this item on a Wolverine?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Knight Wolverine 209 Conversion Kit

Same gun as I got. For years, I have been preaching to people that if you have a misfire, its a maintence issue. I bragged that I never had a misfire even at the range. Well, in the swamps of Blackwater, in Cambridge, MD, last year, I had my first misfire in years on a nice Sika Deer. So this year I converted. It only took me one misfire to change. After converting my Wolverine, she doesn' t shoot as well as before. Tried several bullets/powder combos. Best accuracy I can get is 3.5" at 100 yards with 95gr of pyrodex with 240gr XTP' s. With caps I consistently got 2" or better at 100 yards with 2-50gr of pyrodex pellets and 250gr Barnes expanders. I figure that loss of accuracy is worth the extra confidencs on the gun going boom. If I get more time, I plan to try different 209 pimers. Ones I use now is Winchester.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry,
Thanks for the reply. I hope it' s just a matter of trying different loads until you find the one that your rifle likes.

All of my personal inlines are 209 ignition. I have the Encore, Black Diamond and Thunderhawk. They all shoot fine with primers. BTW, never had a misfire with the primers.
Good luck.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine did the conversion and had nothing but good things to say about it. I' ll find out more for you when I talk to him over the holidays.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:31 PM

Steve I did just such a conversion on my Wolverine a couple of years ago, simple 209 nipple no disc. My sweet lil gun is about 10 years old (was one of the guns still built with an adjustable Timney trigger ) and she has served me flawlessly. Even took a 367" bull in NM in 98 with it (still had #11s with the hot nipple then). I put the 209 kit in it and havent had to change anything but finetune the sight-in. My load is the same it was when I shot 11s. 2 50grn Pyro pellets, 200grn Red Hot bullets and it still prints 1.5" -2" groups at 100yds all day!

Sweet lil gun, but I' m through " washin n waxin" nextyear its a SMOKELESS Savage baby!!!
RA

ps
I use the cheap lil T/C flashcover that velcros over the action and havent had any moisture problem plus it doesnt allow crap to get on the scope!