Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ruger Old Army

Old 11-18-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Ruger Old Army

Hi,

This subject has probably been covered before, but here goes...I' ve got a Ruger Old Army that I bought new in 1982, and I' ve never shot it. I' d like to use it for deer hunting, but I' m unsure of the capabilities of this pistol, or the loads to use. Any experience/advice for this gun?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 11-18-2003, 11:29 PM

Default RE: Ruger Old Army

For a Ruger .45, 7-1/2" barrel-- a .457, 190 grain Buffalo conical pushed by 40 grains of Pyrodex " P" yields a muzzle velocity of 1157 fps, with 565 fpe.

That 565 ft. / lbs. of kinetic energy at the MUZZLE is well short of the minimum 800 fpe required to cleanly harvest deer, not even close. At 25 yards, you are down to 485 fpe.

You might want to do the deer a favor, and leave it at home.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Old Army

Ditto.I agree with Randy.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Spike

Default They Are Wrong

Originally Posted by kinger
Hi,

This subject has probably been covered before, but here goes...I' ve got a Ruger Old Army that I bought new in 1982, and I' ve never shot it. I' d like to use it for deer hunting, but I' m unsure of the capabilities of this pistol, or the loads to use. Any experience/advice for this gun?

Thanks,

Pete
Hello This is a few years latter than your posting I want to let you know, I've been shooting and Handeling Percussion Revolvers& Pistols for over 23 years, I must say that I can say with confidence and expierence/knowledge that the gentleman who siad the ROA is under powered ,well HE IS WRONG. The Ruger Old Army is more then capable out to max 60 Yards of harvesting Big Game, Black Bear Wilid Boar, Deer have all been sucessfully taken with it. Google Hunting with Ruger Old Army and see the results. I recomend a minium of 40 grains of powder, Tripple seven is proberly the most powerful and a good Bullet like a Ball-Et 190 grains. I have not conographed however others have and some people say that the Old Army can achive regulary 800/900 LBS Per Ft of Energy at max. If you use 45-50 grains of power you will have magnum loads like a 41/44 magnum. another option is to purchase an extra cylinder that holds more powder=more Power, Classicballsix sells them for under$200.00. Another option David Clements will bore out your current cylinder to take 5 to 10 more grains of powder, the 2009 cost is about $50.00 per cylinder. david Clements also will make a hand made special 50 caliber conversion Revolver out of a Old Army he uses Kreiger custom barrels and the cost is around 1000.00 a once in a lifetime buy family heirloom. He takes usualy up to a year to make a custom gun. google and you will find all the answers/info you need.

Good Luck,Hunting and be Safe

Kaido
Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

RW is an arm chair expert at about everything, thank god people have learned to ignore his rants and that he has pretty much gone away now that no one listens anymore.

The ROA with the right loads is a fine hunting arm.