Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
grain for deer and ??beear >

grain for deer and ??beear

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

grain for deer and ??beear

Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Sadly I have witnessed it doing just that, blowing up. Not the .45cal 300 grain but the .50cal 338plat. The .45cal might actually be a fairly good bullet given it's sectional density. I have no personal experience with it so I can't comment. I have absolutely no personal experience with any of the .45 powerbelts. But I have personally witnessed the poor penetration on live game from several .50 powerbelt models which was my main point. I am in no way arguing the need for testing such as you do. I did say it was a great comparative test. And it will give you a general idea of a bullets performance. But the test you do in no way simulates an impact result on Black Bear. Not even close. And given that was the intent of the original poster, you would think that people with bear hunting experience would be recommending bullets with the best probability of deep penetration and bone crushing damage. Not a weak pure lead conical. My apologies to you ronlaughlin if I gave offense towards you as it was not intended. MountainDevil54 on the other hand, is welcome to be offended all he wants.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powerbelt Failure

Having never purchased a Powerbelt Bullet, nor used one for shooting paper, nor used one hunting, i had/have no preconceived notions about how they do or do not work. One thing seems true; the 300 grain Platinum Powerbelt does penetrate as well as most commonly used; respected bullets. A question then, one might ask, is why the strong bias against Powerbelts?

Here maybe is the answer...........

The 245 grain Powerbelt Hollowpoint blows up on the near side hide, and many many hunters have experienced this failure. The tests using the carpet, plywood, waterjugs had the bullet blow, right now, right away, the instant it hit carpet. The performance of this bullet may be why jillions are biased against Powerbelt Bullets. The way this bullet works on animals is very very similar to what the bullet did on the carpet, plywood, jugs.

___
Old 07-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

The 245gr powerbelt is what the clerk behind the counter handed my wife when she bought a muzzleloader for me, for Christmas. I push that 245 pb with 100gr of Pyrodex pellets. I shot a doe at around 45yds and never did find her. I've never used a pb since and as long as Barnes keeps making my TEZ's, I never will.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Bagged more game with powerbelts than I've witnessed in the field? Now didn't you just say a couple of posts back that you haven't downed much game with them? Get your story straight son. And I elk hunt near every year and have for over 30 years. I whitetail hunt in 5 different states every year. So I highly doubt your statement. In fact, your statement is absurd in it's generality. The old man had us in the woods about as soon as we could walk. Just because you dress up in goofy hats and funny looking old shirts from the past doesn't make you some sort of expert boy.
Once again, you are incorrect. I have shot a few with the 338gr platinum that was being discussed.

You need an attitude adjustment IMO.

Boy? Thats considered a racist slur.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 07-22-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Boy a racist slur? I think my old man used my name a total of 20 times my entire life. The rest was, Boy, get over here. It is only a racial slur when used towards a black male and only then if it was actually intended to be. You need to go back to your democrat friends and get your panties changed. And any time you wish to come adjust my attitude you are more than welcome to come give it a spin boy. My attitude is just fine for dealing with people that attempt to insult my integrity. Especially those that can't keep their stories straight. Killed more game with powerbelts than I've ever seen in the field? Just who do you think you are boy? Granted I'm not as dedicated a hunter as my old man was, hell I don't think anyone ever has been, but I'm no slouch or slob hunter either boy. I'd say I have about 15 years on you fella and all those years were spent in the mountains, woods, fields, streams, and on the firing ranges with the old man. The same can be said for all of my siblings. He cherished the outdoors and our Native American heritage and made damn sure he imparted as much knowledge as he could to each and every one of us. When you insult my integrity boy, you directly insult him. That wont be tolerated at all.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

You need help
Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300g Deep Curl -- 300g Platinum Powerbelt

Deep Curl

Platinum Powerbelt

___
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still think the 37cent 300gr Uni-Cor SP is a better choice than either of those WHEN we include bear hunting in the question. Speer also sells a 300gr 458 that is pretty tough for around 50cents each.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Naw, the 33 cent 300 grain XTP Magnum beats that all to heck.

____
Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

ronlaughlin, are the magnums much stouter than the other XTP's? I've never had an XTP fail me but I don't push them hard either. Not as hard as some of you guys with inlines so I don't have comparative experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.