Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Storing your muzzleloader? >

Storing your muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Storing your muzzleloader?

Old 10-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Storing your muzzleloader?

Hey guys, how do you store your muzzleloader in between seasons? I clean mine and then swab the barrel with bore butter for storage. Is this good, or is it better to store it dry? By the way, my rifle is a plain ole Knight wolverine converted to a 209 primer.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Storing your muzzleloader?

Bore Butter (rust inhibitor) does not work well for storing rifles. Use a good gun oil that says " rust preventer" on the front or rear label.

When I store my bp rifles, the breechplugs, nipples & cleanout screw are not intact until I load the rifle at the range or in the woods. Also, I store my bp rifles muzzle-side down with a rag below them in my gun safe.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:34 PM

I do the exact same thing Mount Cur does but use CLP on the outside...No rust here. Safe has Golden Rod as well which helps.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you using bore butter/wonder lube in your bores for storage, ya' ll need to check this out. Inhibitors DO NOT stop rust from forming. The post above me states he uses bore butter inside & CLP outside... he' s got it backwards. CLP works best inside... bore butter works best outside!

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexp...corrosion.html
Old 10-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

After the rifle is clean, I run some 3-1 gun oil in a light coat down the barrel and store it bore down with a white cotton cloth on the barrel. Then before I shoot again, I swab the barrel with some dry patches and get the oil out of the thing and we are ready to go all over again. My Renegade is 25+ years old and this has worked for me so far.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I believe I' ll start doing what triple seven does.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:51 PM

Triple seven has it right. Any good gun oil in the barrel and a good coating outside as well will bring years of good service. I store with nipple in the gun though and turned barrel up but plugged with a cotten rag. Of course at the end of the hunting season my TC goes through a cleaning like no other time of year. This also includes nipple replacement each year and with a slight lube applied and I have yet to have a trouble when I light the fire in the new year. Of course I always make sure all that excess oil is out of the breach area after storing though.