Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Storing Muzzleloader >

Storing Muzzleloader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Storing Muzzleloader

Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Storing Muzzleloader

hey guys
this hunting season I'm using strictly my muzzleloader. my question is,how do I store it between hunts. I hunt in MI and the weather is between 5- 40 degrees usually. how can i store it, so I don't have to unload it every night? How long can I go without unloading it and cleaning it. my other question is do they make a cap or something I can put over the end of the muzzle to prevent rain or snow from going down the barrel.
thanks for the help guys
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Storing Muzzleloader

I unload my rifle every night now, but used to store them for days on end.

Get some finger cots at a pharmacy. They are small condom like objects that will stretch over the end of the muzzle and keep the moisture from getting down there.

When you have hunted all day, if it was in wet, damp, or humid weather I would suggest shooting the charge off and cleaning the rifle then starting the next day on a fresh charge. If you're determined not to do that, do not subject your rifle and charge to extreme temperatures. Put the loaded rifle some where it will not be bothered. Mark the rifle with a red cloth through the finger guard to warn others that the rifle has a charge in it. Leave it in as near the same temperatures as the outside where you hunt, like a shed or garage, away from all moisture. I like to put a cloth on the ground and then put the rifle muzzle end on the cloth. This way if any moisture does form it will move down the barrel away from the powder charge. Be sure and take the primer out of the breech plug, then lay a cloth over that area to collect any moisture that might try to form.

Something to keep in mind, certain powders ... no matter how careful you are will still draw moisture. If it draws enough moisture you might have problems the next day.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Do you want a club or a rifle? Any chance of moisture at all shoot the round off and reload in the morning. A wet and dry patch followed by shooting a couple caps and a nipple prick work well. Day hunting I must add. If you are going for longer Know how your rifle handles being loaded days at a time. I don't take chances even with inlines.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I know many who leave them charged for days on end,I agree with the others why chance it. I dump the load unless subjected to moisture in which caseI will fire it off prior to days end (if nothing else it provides you with a baseline how your ML and powder fair in moist conditions), this way I save the bullet at least for the range. MyMLs are then swabbed, re-oiled, dry patched to remove excess oiland then re-charged the following morning before leaving the house.

As far as weatherproofing the barrel I have always taped the muzzle end of the barrel on my rifles (ML's and CF's) with electrical tape. It is cheap, easy to find, safe, does not affect the POI and does the job.