Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are they a better gun??? >

Are they a better gun???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are they a better gun???

Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I wanna thank the person who sent these to me and for the kind words. I tell it the way it is, and I'm not gonna change that any time soon. Send me a PM and let me know who you are and I'll return the favor with some Lehigh bullets for you to try. I really appreciate this honestly, thanks again.

Nice little surprise when I got home today. Someone sent me some bullets for testing the Muzzleloader's and my BH209 plug came.

That bullet performed flawlessly and aggressively, beyond my expectations on opening day. I was actually a little over impressed.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
That bullet performed flawlessly and aggressively, beyond my expectations on opening day. I was actually a little over impressed.
I didn't even know FTX made a 225grn bullet in .452. Were they accurate for you?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far the MR seems like the best feeling for me. But the breech plug is rediculous for a QR breech plug. I could take a bolt out of a Knight and unscrew it faster. I'm being a little sarcastic but the breech plug is the pits. The T/C QRB plug is Far superior in all aspects.
My experience with both plugs is such that i grew to despise the TC plug, what with the o-ring, compression rings. Several times, it couldn't be removed from the Triumph, without using a tool. Because of the scope, i had to fabricate a tool, to remove the TC plug from my Triumph. The CVA plug removes from a fired rifle, far, far easier, in my experience.

However, the CVA plug is too fragile to suit me. Wife goes through special pains when she prepares the QRBP for return mail, so for to protect the thin rim on the end. A couple of the QRBP folks have mailed, have arrived here damaged.

Me, i much prefer a plug that needs a wrench to remove. One will have the wrench with, when it is time to remove the plug. If one is using a hand removable plug, one doesn't have a tool to remove it, when it gets stuck.

The T/C QRB plug is Far superior in all aspects.
You cannot know this, without having actually shot a rifle using the QRBP.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I didn't even know FTX made a 225grn bullet in .452. Were they accurate for you?
Woops, I relooked at the photo again. I was shooting the 250gr FTX. I have to tell you, it was from my Game Breaker .450 Bushmaster. Bullet speed is 2,300fps and from that rifle, I've shot 1" 300yd groups.

However faster than we shoot from muzzleloaders, that bullet did unimaginable internal damage to a buck I took opening day. Very short run, maybe 30yds with blood as high as my head in the trees. Perfect entrance hole, exit hole was 1.25".
Now there's no doubt I'm a BarnesAddict but, if that bullet would do from a muzz like it did with that .450, things might change.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 01-10-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=ronlaughlin;4238635
You cannot know this, without having actually shot a rifle using the QRBP.[/QUOTE]
I owned atleast four Triumphs and the 5th on its way. A Prohunter and an Endeavor. I think owning 6 QRB'S from T/C I'm qualified to make that statement. I'll do a video on the new one when it comes.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i understand correctly, you have never ever shot a CVA with the QRBP, hence the reason i wrote what i wrote.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
If i understand correctly, you have never ever shot a CVA with the QRBP, hence the reason i wrote what i wrote.
Ron,
The MR doesn't have a QRB. It has a tool less plug. That's a false claim by CVA. My original Accura plug did not work like this one your right.

Last edited by Grouse45; 01-10-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I checked over the MR tonight and scoped it up. I put a Redfield Revenge on it. The bases are loose from the factory. I took the screws out, added some loc-tite and tightened them up. The hammer is really close to the scope. The MR might need a short Nikon Omega scope on it for more clearance. It's ok for me, but I could see a lot of complaints. I'm not impressed with the new plug at all, I might just wait for the one to return I sent Ron. The plug threads are to long, and I also think the plug needs shortened. CVA is really lacking in breech plug technology. Another complaint is all the packing grease/protectant they put all over the gun. If the nitrate is good, not sure why all the protective material all over the metal.

Some good notes are the gun feels really good to me. I love the palm saver for the ramrod. I also love the sling tha comes with it. Another good feature is the one piece base and rings. Looks like they copied Talley on that. The trigger seems pretty good as well. I can't wait to shoot this ML.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also got the T/C impact ready as well. So far, the only down side is it seems to be made for smaller people. Almost ideal for women and children. I'm glad it has a Nikon omega on it.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also put together the T/C strike tonight. This ML is really cool. I love how they changed there breech plugs. This new design seems like it's gonna be awesome to me. It's not as comfortable as the MR but it's close. I think the Strike is gonna impress me over time. I ordered a Redfield Revenge for it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.