Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are they a better gun???

Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'm thinking he wanted to test them "as is" rather than modified in any way (other than a scope of course) to make it a true comparison.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
why not get a limb saver slip on recoil pad for the impact? It will give you about another 1 1/4" LOP
That's a good idea, if I was keeping it I probably would.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah, I'm thinking he wanted to test them "as is" rather than modified in any way (other than a scope of course) to make it a true comparison.
Your right about that.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Nice job Tom! Looking forward to more!
The flash hole on the Impact is .029

The flash hole on the primer adapter on the strike is .034. This I do not like. The strike comes with two primer adapters, one for loose powder, the second for pellets. The one for pellets would ignite both pellets and loose powder. Anyway, I measured the extra primer adapter at .033. I sure hope before I started the loose powder adapter was .034, I would not think wear that fast.

I think I'm going to switch adapters and shoot the one for pellets with loose powder. The Primer adapter did stick like MD said with BH209. You just stick the rod in and pop out, it's pretty easy but not right. But it's sticking cause so much crud gets in behind it. The adapter needs to meet a wall to keep this from happening. I might try putting grease or something next time. I also need to test this ignition system with 777 as much as I hate to say that.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,
Do you have a factory CVA QRBP NON BH209 at home? I would like to modify one with the vent flush at the end with the same 5/32 flame channel to validate it will shoot loose and pelletized powders. Of course I would buy it from you to do this test.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

No need to install a vent liner; just drill out the flame channel to 5/32" would accomplish the same thing.

However, why bother? Recall how the Triumph plug produces delay in cold cold weather. It seems to me, doing as you are suggesting, would just produce a comparable plug. Just another Triumph plug.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
No need to install a vent liner; just drill out the flame channel to 5/32" would accomplish the same thing.

However, why bother? Recall how the Triumph plug produces delay in cold cold weather. It seems to me, doing as you are suggesting, would just produce a comparable plug. Just another Triumph plug.
Ron,
I thought when people drilled out the flame channel and put a ventliner in the Triumph the delays went away??
Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Ron,
I thought when people drilled out the flame channel and put a ventliner in the Triumph the delays went away??
Used a CCI209M and never had a delay........
Old 01-18-2016, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Used a CCI209M and never had a delay........
That's a good point, when I was getting delays it was with a Winchester primer. This weekend ill test that gun in the cold weather with the CCI209M.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
That's a good point, when I was getting delays it was with a Winchester primer. This weekend ill test that gun in the cold weather with the CCI209M.
Knowing the WIN209 is a little longer and helps keep things clean, I still always used the CCI209M primers and never had a single delay in below zero weather. A delay would bother me much more than a little cleaning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.