Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 12-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

The stock BP will shoot B 209 just fine with a minor mod.(drill)Then use hot primers, and set the headspace. No fail for 100% BH use.

We were shooting BH 209 long before the BH breech plugs came out.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duplexing is typically using a small amount of smokeless in a BP cartridge gun. Been doing that for years (disclaimer-HNI nor anyone on this forum recommends people doing this as it is a dangerous practice that should only be done by experts in load formulation and the seriously nuts such as myself ) But I had always heard that mixing these new fangled BP subs wouldn't be dangerous but would create unstable pressure spikes making grouping very inconsistent at best. I guess since he isn't "mixing" but using the T7 as a base (sorta as a second primer) then the pressure spike will be relatively consistent.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Pete, my own preference would be buy a rifle that you don't have to modify or change a plug to use a good powder. TC comes to mind there I guess CVA couldn't find a way to copy TC's breech plugs without getting sued yet again for patent infringement.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah right. Buy a TC, and then watch them drop production. Even if you bought one it's a crap shoot if it will shoot conicals. No thanks.

CVA is still the best bang for the buck.

btw..... I'm not sure why you think using a duplex load isn't mixing powders?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Banned

I always had good ignition with a factory non drilled BP until western powders said you need at least a .035" flash hole. Then we all started drilling them out.

Sealing up the primers was the best thing to do IMO with the factory plug with BH209.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

btw..... I'm not sure why you think using a duplex load isn't mixing powders?
I'd just never heard of people mixing various subs or BP. As I said, I had always heard, and done it, mixing a small amount of smokeless in a couple of my BP cartridge loads. Or in cases of smokeless charges, mixing a faster powder with a slower one to get a better burn or a faster pressure spike to burn all powder. It's how they come up with a lot of loads during experimentation on new stuff like the leverevolution and such. Since most BP and Subs burn at a pretty consistent rate I had never heard of it referred to as Duplexing in the BP world. Just surprised me that the guy did it and it worked out for him is all.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should delete that post. New guys to muzzleloaders will get the idea that using smokeless powder mixed with black powder is ok. It's not! Ever!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You should delete that post. New guys to muzzleloaders will get the idea that using smokeless powder mixed with black powder is ok. It's not! Ever!
Pretty good advice Muley. Safety first especially with muzzleloaders since there can be a lot of room for error especially for the inexperienced.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Hey Pete, my own preference would be buy a rifle that you don't have to modify or change a plug to use a good powder. TC comes to mind there I guess CVA couldn't find a way to copy TC's breech plugs without getting sued yet again for patent infringement.
Traditions does not require a separate breech plug for Blackhorn.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good thing CVA didn't copy TC on how to make a QLA.

To be serious. What did CVA copy from TC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.