Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 12-26-2015, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default cva breech plug

i recently purchased a cva v2/lr nitride thumbhole combo deal with the plan to leave that rifle back home with a friend so i don't have to travel with a gun every time i want to go back to hunt (buffalo ny) so anyway i shoot loose powder and bought some bh 209 to try along with some of those federal game shok bullets so it's been two weeks and i can't find a replacement breech plug for loose powder in the black finish but found a silver or s.s. ? one but no tool to install it for the first time which is required. so my point to this story is this is ridiculous that after two weeks i still can't shoot my gun because cva is that cheap they can't provide one ! i called cva and he told me the reason is because most "85-90%" shoot pellets because it's easier. i should have just bought a knight rifle and been done with it so without even shooting it i already don't have a good opinion of cva at least as a company! and yes i know you can shoot loose powder with the one it comes with but the guy at cva told me i would get a 10-15% potential failure to fire using it which is ok for target but not for hunting !!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just use a pipe wrench to fit the plug to the barrel. It is easy, and works fine. Some suggest a vice grip, but my little pipe wrench works good for me.

If you want the plug to be black, i can modify your black plug, so it will reliably ignite Blackhorn, in exchange for dinero.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tons of ways to seat the breech plug the first time. Ron mentioned one of them. The stock BP is good for any loose powder other than BH 209. You can even use it for BH if you know what to do, but i'll leave that alone.

CVA sells a Bh 209 BP with a black coating. It's not Nitride, but it's black.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i get it it just pisses me off that they couldn't give you both ! thanks!
Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

They could, but then you'd have guys whining about paying for two BP's when all they use are pellets.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its more of a shame they could not make a plug that works with both pellets and BH209. Its not hard to achieve.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

it never ends !
Old 12-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

i even told the guy from cva with the shipping costs nowadays just charge a extra 20 bucks or whatever and include it i shouldn't have to spend hours of my time trying to find a part for a brand new gun !
Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i even told the guy from cva with the shipping costs nowadays just charge a extra 20 bucks or whatever and include it i shouldn't have to spend hours of my time trying to find a part for a brand new gun !
You should have asked us.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Banned

yup, always ask and we'll hook you up with Carlos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.