Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Banned

Default Honesty compels

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah but Grouse, having and expressing an opinion is one thing. Calling all hunters that use a PRB unethical is another thing entirely. He needs to step away from the soapbox he has risen himself upon before he gets knocked off of it.
SH54,

In the interest of accuracy, I will own up to the fact that I did say, and believe, that the use of a PRB under .62 (or so) is unethical. Supporting that, many years ago I tried a .575 pure lead ball out of a 20 gauge shotgun. Firing into a bundle of newsprint, the channel was no different than a load using a .598 WW ball. I don't think a nondeforming RB is a good tool for the job. Maybe if its big. I never hunted with either one.

You want to knock me off of some imaginary soapbox? I think you're losing your objectivity.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you think a PRB is non deforming?

You never hunted with a PRB? What are you basing your opinions on?
Old 12-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Banned

Default What tradititional?!

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
He didn't choose what he uses. He attacked those using traditional gear. Big difference.
Pete,

The U.S. Army abandoned the roundball over 200 years ago. The fact that they spec'ed the 1803 Harper's Ferry with a 1-49 twist points to the fact that they were thinking "conical". I think the account of Sgt. Murphy's encounter with British General Fraser was part of the decision.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Banned

you do know that the Hawken rifle back in the original days used 1:48 twist and conical was not even close to their thinking.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

The U.S. Army abandoned the roundball over 200 years ago. The fact that they spec'ed the 1803 Harper's Ferry with a 1-49 twist points to the fact that they were thinking "conical". I think the account of Sgt. Murphy's encounter with British General Fraser was part of the decision.

OldBob

Hunting is not war. Why not use a bazooka for your hunting? It's what the military uses.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Banned

Default Ah, no

Originally Posted by flounder33
Another point is that he is a new member and it is obvious that he joined the forum with an agenda to attack round ball shooters.
flounder33,

I did not come here to attack roundball shooters. I came here to get the most up-to-date information on muzzleloading as it is today. What I stumbled upon was a discussion of a projectile that is a relic from the days of the smoothbore. I find that incredible! Surely most of us have access to the ballistic data that clearly illustrates the limitations of the PRB. Is there any projectile that is worse? I can't find one. So, unless you live and hunt in one of those states that still mandates the PRB, why not move on, as many of you have?

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
flounder33,

I did not come here to attack roundball shooters. I came here to get the most up-to-date information on muzzleloading as it is today. What I stumbled upon was a discussion of a projectile that is a relic from the days of the smoothbore. I find that incredible! Surely most of us have access to the ballistic data that clearly illustrates the limitations of the PRB. Is there any projectile that is worse? I can't find one. So, unless you live and hunt in one of those states that still mandates the PRB, why not move on, as many of you have?

OldBob
Yet, as bad as it is. It killed a record bull elk. Did you forget the first post of this thread?

How is that possible with such a bad bullet that your ballistics chart shows? How can the relic round ball kill anything bigger than a chipmunk?

Explain please?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Banned

Default felt wad?

It's not just the twist, but the depth of the rifling too.
Pete,

Don't know. Someone has to have the components to test this. We're running out of weather, though.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a rule conicals don't do well in deep rifling made for a PRB.

A PRB can work in shallow rifling if it's not pushed too fast.

So, from my testing it does matter somewhat.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Banned

Default Newsprint

Why do you think a PRB is non deforming?

You never hunted with a PRB? What are you basing your opinions on?
Pete,

I used to get bundles of newspapers that were going to be recycled. Eventually they were, missing the material from the holes. I shot them dry, because a thoroughly wetted bundle is just a mess, and a solid block of ice if you want to do testing in the winter. Its a little more abusive to the bullets, but that would do more to expand/deform the PRB.

Cow heads are also a good medium, but that's another story.

OldBob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.