Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe most that have a bad impression of PRB either have not shot enough of them to understand them or have messed with light loads or small calibers.
40 and 45 are good squirrel guns and a 50 is only slightly better; a 54 is the longest range flattest shooting and is capable of dropping an elk in his tracks I have done it most of the deer and bear I have shot were with a 54 and none of them went 100 yds. and only two went over 35 yds. Sure you need to hit the heart lung area and you need to hit there with a bow or a cartridge gun also.
I have had 58 and 62 calibers and somebody else can have them, I can take deer out to 180 yds. with a 54 and the rainbow trajectory of the bigger calibers does not impress me. A lot of the guns I built were percussion but I did build a half dozen flint locks.
I used 120 to 130 grains of black or RS and as a rule it stopped deer and black bear better than most bullets on the market today the exceptions to this is a properly loaded Lehigh brass bullet and certain Barns and Gold Dot or Deep Curl bullets.
I shot PRB from 1962 and still do sometimes, I am sorry for being so long winded but having people generalize and say they don't work when I know better gets old.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Look up some of his other posts Tom. He flat out calls the use of PRB's unethical. Ever since he joined he has been on a soap box against the use of PRB's. As I said earlier, I don't use them anymore myself, but as long as people use them within their range and shot placement limitations, I see no reason NOT to use them as they are quite effective when used properly. Going by his logic from other posts, one shouldn't hunt with anything less than the latest greatest laser cannon. There is ALWAYS something more technologically advanced out there to use for hunting but that in no way means something less advanced is unethical. It really doesn't mean that the advanced products are any more ethical to use either. Everything needs to be used within it's limitations as well as the hunters limitations or it then becomes unethical.
I read a lot from my phone and could be missing what you guys are saying. I don't by any means think PRB'S are un ethical but there are better choices. I think using a PRB inside 75 yards is a heck of a lot more ethical then those guys shooting Elk at 1000 yards with CF rifles. But here again, that's my opinion only.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I believe most that have a bad impression of PRB either have not shot enough of them to understand them or have messed with light loads or small calibers.
40 and 45 are good squirrel guns and a 50 is only slightly better; a 54 is the longest range flattest shooting and is capable of dropping an elk in his tracks I have done it most of the deer and bear I have shot were with a 54 and none of them went 100 yds. and only two went over 35 yds. Sure you need to hit the heart lung area and you need to hit there with a bow or a cartridge gun also.
I have had 58 and 62 calibers and somebody else can have them, I can take deer out to 180 yds. with a 54 and the rainbow trajectory of the bigger calibers does not impress me. A lot of the guns I built were percussion but I did build a half dozen flint locks.
I used 120 to 130 grains of black or RS and as a rule it stopped deer and black bear better than most bullets on the market today the exceptions to this is a properly loaded Lehigh brass bullet and certain Barns and Gold Dot or Deep Curl bullets.
I shot PRB from 1962 and still do sometimes, I am sorry for being so long winded but having people generalize and say they don't work when I know better gets old.
I agree, my 50cal wasn't something to brag about with PRB'S
Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
You can kill with a .54 at 180yds, and you don't think a .50 will kill anything but squirrels at under 75yds? Ridiculous, and one statement that does nothing to the effectiveness of a PRB.

I'll be using a .50 PRB for elk in the fall, and maybe bear too. I have no worries that it won't work.

Using open sights will keep most guys in PRB range. I'm not limited by the PRB. I'm limited by the sights. It's a no fail system, unless you have the eyes for long open sights. Not a peep. Open sights. Then you should think of another round.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Banned

Default My error

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have no problem with you Bob. Did we argue in the past? I hold no grudges, so I forget fast.

You can post your opinion all you want, but expect me to respond if you tell me what i'm doing isn't humane for the game. If you knew me well you'd know how concerned I am that the animal doesn't suffer. That's why I always hunt close, and why i'm so picky about the shots I take.

I agree a PRB is a bad choice for long shots. For close shots it's very effective. My guns have deep rifling, and a slow twist made for a PRB. They're very accurate at my range.
Pete,

This was merely an attempt at courtesy on my part. On the internet, too many people feel they had been given a license to be rude. I did not want to be one of those, so I erred on the side of being polite. No harm.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned

Default Inappropriate bullets

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Bob, I really wish you would kinda back up a little bit on your campaign for everyone to stop using PRB's. Many on here like to use them and do so with extreme effectiveness. Pete is one of them. I myself used them back in the dark ages when I was young and seriously into black powder shooting. I don't now mainly because I am getting into the more modern aspects of the sport in my old age. That and I don't have a BP rifle that is suitable for PRB. My Hawk is 1:28 twist and just doesn't like shooting them worth diddly. Maybe one day I will get back into them but my "one days" are getting shorter daily. They just don't trip me trigger like they used to. They are an effective bullet when used properly just like EVERY other means of hunting out there. No matter what bullet or platform one chooses to hunt with, they have to know their limitations. Period. Just like CF rifles, there are better bullets, but that doesn't mean that the PRB is useless or ineffective or unethical. There are tons better bullets than cup and core bullets for CF rifles yet I don't see yo on a campaign to stop the use of them. Just because something may or may not be better doesn't mean that the other thing is useless and unethical.
I can't see any reason not to point out the limitations of the round ball. I certainly agree with you about "bad" bullets for CF rifles. When I was young, every month the gunrags had an article about "What's better the 270 or the 30-06?" Throw in the 280 for a bit of variety. It was all BS. With an appropriate bullet choice for the intended purpose, the performance of any of those calibers would be indistinguishable from any of the others. With the ammo makers' attempts to cook up loads for anything from mice to moose, you can buy ammo that is not the best, to downright awful, for shooting deer, for example.

I don't think seasonal help, particularly in the big box stores, knows enough to be giving advice. I view game commissions as being equally competent.

OldBob

Last edited by OldBob47; 12-20-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned

Default No drugs

Originally Posted by rafsob
?????????????????????????? Man, what were you smoking when you wrote this?????
rafsob,

In accordance with my beliefs, I abstain from mind-altering substances. I would not make this a blanket recommendation for everyone, but you might want to consider it. The clarity of mind that it would give you would allow your native talents and abilities to come forth. You could be making posts with a lot of information, or witty posts, rather than the embarrassingly feeble personal attacks we have witnessed here.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default .338

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, of course. What was I thinking?
Pete,
Its funny that this caliber should be in this conversation. I wanted one of those since they came out in, what was it, 1958? Never got one, and now I never will. But reading Elmer Keith's writings gave me the idea that you might have to go that much bigger than 30-06 to see an increase in terminal effect. The problem with big bores is the opposite of the smaller calibers. With the smaller ones, you have to select a bullet that is sufficiently tough. With the big bores, you have to look for bullets that are "soft" enough for humane kills. This was probably the beginning of my attention to selecting the most appropriate bullet.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned

Default Maybe

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Apparently OldBob doesn't realize that some of our muzzleloaders will not shoot "modern" jacketed bullets accurately. And modern centerfire rifles delivering enormous amounts of energy are not necessary. It's all about bullet (or ball) placement.
bronko,

I suspect that the two bullets that Ron reported on might stabilize out of a 1-60 twist, given a max load. The Hornady appears to be the shorter of the two, and is certainly cheaper.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not just the twist, but the depth of the rifling too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.