Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
falcon

I believe you are correct on the Federal ban but States can and have been. And more States are considering the use of the California regulations. There are a number of States that now follow the California regs. Washington was close to years ago and Oregon now moving that direction.
I'd like to see some hevi-shot PRB's. Last non-lead balls I saw advertised were Remington brass PRB circa '02-03.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I'd like to see some hevi-shot PRB's. Last non-lead balls I saw advertised were Remington brass PRB circa '02-03.
ITX has made them for several years but they are about a buck each.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went to that site about a mo. ago. Thx for the reminder.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If Colorado bans lead ammo, i'll just retire from hunting, and concentrate on BP shoots, and cast my own balls.

They won't whine about using lead on targets will they?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe you are correct on the Federal ban but States can and have been.
Yes, especially California. The CA ban on lead shot and bullets goes into effect in July, 2019. Other states will follow suit and ban lead bullets.

Some folks are making noise about lead bullet fragments and lead shot in the meat of game animals. Some makers of monolithic bullets have jumped on the anti-lead bandwagon.

Lead poisoning in kids is a serious thing: Ditto for pregnant women.

i burned a couple billion rounds of live military small arms ammunition. Because of my lack of precautions i came down with lead poisoning; twice. Never knew anything was wrong either time. Both times my condition was detected through very thorough work physicals. Last time my lead levels were sky high. The Dr. prescribed chelation therapy which i declined. Instead i took big doses of abscorbic acid. In a couple months my lead levels were normal.

Indoor shooting ranges that are not properly ventilated and maintained are dangerous.

Last edited by falcon; 12-22-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad was a house painter, and used lead paint all his life. He died at 90.

I've also listened to asbestos scares for decades. I worked in a brake shop in the 60's cam grinding brake shoes. I'd have asbestos all over me from the dust. It would be 2" thick piled on my head and shoulders. I'm fine 50 years later.

People are scared of their shadows today.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If Colorado bans lead ammo, i'll just retire from hunting, and concentrate on BP shoots, and cast my own balls.

They won't whine about using lead on targets will they?
Pete,

Why wouldn't "they"? You're still throwing lead into the environment. The problem is, there is no element suitable for projectiles that does not carry with it some health hazard if ingested.

OldBob
Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

They, whoever they are, can kiss my butt.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by falcon

Indoor shooting ranges that are not properly ventilated and maintained are dangerous.
falcon,

That's what is bitterly funny about all this concern about lead. Back in the day of revolvers, they found out that indoor ranges had high levels of lead. So, one solution was to replace the 148 gr lead wadcutters with 100 gr zinc wadcutters. The Lead problem was solved! Now look at the effect of excessive levels of zinc in the body. It really messes with your heart. I've read that if a small dog ingests a US penny (97.5% zinc), once the strong canine stomach acids break through the copper coating, and begin working on the zinc, they can die from the excessive zinc disrupting their heart rate. Don't know, never tried it, not gonna. Unfortunately we have people making laws while giving no thought to the unintended consequences of their actions.

OldBob
Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
My dad was a house painter, and used lead paint all his life. He died at 90.

I've also listened to asbestos scares for decades. I worked in a brake shop in the 60's cam grinding brake shoes. I'd have asbestos all over me from the dust. It would be 2" thick piled on my head and shoulders. I'm fine 50 years later.

People are scared of their shadows today.
Pete,

In our lead classes at work, they told us that one of the most common ways for children to get lead poisoning was by chewing on window sills.

As for asbestos, man has used it for thousands of years, but there is one important "Gotcha!" Smoking stuns the cilia in your respiratory tract, negating one of the most important defences against asbestosis, mesothelioma, etc. The body's response to asbestos is highly individualistic. I don't think they can predict ahead of time who will get sick and who will not, except the odds are much worse for smokers.

OldBob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.