Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one >

Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one

Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifle...ybrand_brand=4
Old 11-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Is the Ultra-Lite a bruiser at 6 pounds? Probably not so much after scope mounts, scope, and a sling are added. Good point, I would rather have a light muzzleloader because it would suit my needs better. A lot of my hunting is up close and quick shooting. I will have to decide between the disc extreme and the ultra-lite.
I have owned and shot the Ultra-Lite since they came out. I honestly do not find them 'bruising" at all in fact they are a joy for me. My hunting load is 120 grains of T7 and a Lehigh .458x305 grain bullet. I think part of this is in the design of the Kevlar stock and aluminum mounting block embedded in the stock. Some, and I to a large part of the recoil, is directed downward into the pistol grip of the stock.

The weight and the 24" barrel make it really adaptable to the type of hunting you describe and is pretty much what I deal with everyday hunting in the timber. Yet if I were presented a 200 yard target there would be not hesitation in that shot at all.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could try

Miller Custom Knives
Nappanee,IN

He is the dealer that ordered the 1-20 Mountaineers and he shoots a Knight at the Friendship inline matches.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Banned

i'd stay away from sportsmans warehouse, they are horrible when it comes to getting you a good knight. They've been known to send out rifles that wont fire or bolts that are stuck. Keep an eye out on auctions or even the classified ad's on the forums, you'd be better off.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Knight ML's that Sportsman's has or get are no different than any that you might bet any place else. The problem is found in the Western Edition rifles, but not in the 209 edition rifles.

If you were to purchase a Western Edition - try igniting caps as soon as you can and if there is any problem at all return it to Sportsman's with your receipt and there will be no problem exchanging it.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's a 5 percenter anyways? I musn't be one or I guess I'd know what one was.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
What's a 5 percenter anyways? I musn't be one or I guess I'd know what one was.
Art a while back one of the posters on this forum indicated that only 5% of all the muzzleloaders did somethings that he didn't do. So after reading his post a lot of folks added the comment about being a member of the 5% club - which turns out to be many more than 5%...
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
If you enjoy tearing the rifle down for clean up, yes the Knights are fine rifles. I bought my first Knight (a little ol Wolverine) back in the early 90s. Took a truckload of deer with that lil gun plus a 368" bull in the Gila in NM. But eventually I grew tired of having to tear that thing down for proper cleanup: pull the scope off (via QRW Leupold rings), pull the trigger assembly, remove the bolt, pull the breech plug THEN begin cleaning & then reassemble all that after it all laid out & dried for an hour or so. The "Littlehorn" is Knights modern version of my 22" Wolverine. One thing I really must admit is that thing sure handled like a dream! Quick, fast & light in the woods. With a 209 conversion, 2 pellets of 777 & 250grn Barnes there was NOTHING inside of 150yds that was going to get away from that lil gun!

Some might love it, "part of the craft" they say. That's fine & more power to them. However I have other things I'd rather spend my time doing. So I bought a smokeless Savage ML-2 around 2003 & NEVER looked back. Now my 15yr old son has been bitten by the mzldr bug after he nailed a 152 inch 13pt with my Savage on our farm weekend before last. But since the Savs are no longer built, prices skyrocketed & the price tag for custom smokeless guns are idiotic, I think I'm going to buy him a TC Impact. A simple break action with quick plug removal & by shooting BH209 cleanup should only involve a few patches & a few shots of brake cleaner. (The standard cleanup equip for my Savage)
Your not up on the new Knights. Easier to clean then any brake open for sure. The old ones though you are correct.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d80hunter
As I sit here drinking morning coffee a reoccurring thought has come to mind. Does the brand still got it guys? I still have my LK-93 and loved it, but wanted a newer 209 ignition muzzloader. A few years ago I purchased a CVA Accura 2 and it has been reliable but I heard so many negative things about CVA and not owning American doesn't feel right. I see Knight offers several models and I am interested in the Disk Extreme. If I can get any money out of the CVA it will help fund for a scope for my Knight. That is the plan, does it sound like a good one.
The Knight Ultralite is the best production ML on the market today. But the Disc Extreme is a great ML as well. I would look for a Lehigh conversion for the Extreme and your set for life.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Your not up on the new Knights. Easier to clean then any brake open for sure. The old ones though you are correct.
I fail to see how ANY bolt action MLer could be easier to clean than a break open action. My Pro Hunter is about as simple and easy as it gets. Lot more parts to break down and clean on a bolt. Not saying one is better than the other per say but a break is, to me anyway, MUCH simpler to clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.