Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one >

Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one

Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one

As I sit here drinking morning coffee a reoccurring thought has come to mind. Does the brand still got it guys? I still have my LK-93 and loved it, but wanted a newer 209 ignition muzzloader. A few years ago I purchased a CVA Accura 2 and it has been reliable but I heard so many negative things about CVA and not owning American doesn't feel right. I see Knight offers several models and I am interested in the Disk Extreme. If I can get any money out of the CVA it will help fund for a scope for my Knight. That is the plan, does it sound like a good one.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, they are fantastic. The Extreme is a great gun, if you get it...I recommend getting the bare primer ignition setup. I heard Knight has a decent deal going on Extreme's right now, but I haven't looked into it. All my Knights shoot very good if I do my job. I am shooting BH209 in my Disc style rifles, still using pyrodex in my MK85's.

My favorite is the Ultra-Lite. Not sure what style hunting you do, but for me that is the ultimate rifle...if I was buying new.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the Ultra-Lite a bruiser at 6 pounds? Probably not so much after scope mounts, scope, and a sling are added. Good point, I would rather have a light muzzleloader because it would suit my needs better. A lot of my hunting is up close and quick shooting. I will have to decide between the disc extreme and the ultra-lite.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

If you enjoy tearing the rifle down for clean up, yes the Knights are fine rifles. I bought my first Knight (a little ol Wolverine) back in the early 90s. Took a truckload of deer with that lil gun plus a 368" bull in the Gila in NM. But eventually I grew tired of having to tear that thing down for proper cleanup: pull the scope off (via QRW Leupold rings), pull the trigger assembly, remove the bolt, pull the breech plug THEN begin cleaning & then reassemble all that after it all laid out & dried for an hour or so. The "Littlehorn" is Knights modern version of my 22" Wolverine. One thing I really must admit is that thing sure handled like a dream! Quick, fast & light in the woods. With a 209 conversion, 2 pellets of 777 & 250grn Barnes there was NOTHING inside of 150yds that was going to get away from that lil gun!

Some might love it, "part of the craft" they say. That's fine & more power to them. However I have other things I'd rather spend my time doing. So I bought a smokeless Savage ML-2 around 2003 & NEVER looked back. Now my 15yr old son has been bitten by the mzldr bug after he nailed a 152 inch 13pt with my Savage on our farm weekend before last. But since the Savs are no longer built, prices skyrocketed & the price tag for custom smokeless guns are idiotic, I think I'm going to buy him a TC Impact. A simple break action with quick plug removal & by shooting BH209 cleanup should only involve a few patches & a few shots of brake cleaner. (The standard cleanup equip for my Savage)

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 11-17-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Knights with the bare primer system stay as clean in the breach as either of my Savages.

Around 40 shots and its still relatively clean.

Kinda hard for the breach to get dirty when the primers look like this.

This has been the norm in my 54cal, 2 45s, 52cal LRH and an Extreme 50cal. All using the Lehigh bare primer conversion. Some of the loads were very stiff and a few exceed Westerns load data.

The T/C Impact still requires a tool for plug removal and another to remove the stock correct? How is that easier than a knight with a bare primer breach plug? QR Warnes rings and bases make the scope a non issue.

Knight triggers are removed with the same tool as the receiver screw. Seems really darn simple to me. The bolt can be removed and dissembled/cleaned without any tools.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is the Ultra-Lite a bruiser at 6 pounds?
I own lighter ML rifle that shoots similar weight bullets much faster and its not that bad at all. IIRC B&C makes that stock for Knight.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was wrong about the muzzleoader I currently own. It is an Optima 2 and weighs 6.65 pounds out of the box. I think it recoil is very tame so the Ultra-Lite should be what I need. Thanks for pointing that out WV Hunter
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never see Knight Muzzleloaders at any LGS around and I don't want to drive an hour to Cabelas or Bass Pro to gamble if they have one in stock. Where is a good place to get one...Specifically Central Indiana.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by d80hunter
I never see Knight Muzzleloaders at any LGS around and I don't want to drive an hour to Cabelas or Bass Pro to gamble if they have one in stock. Where is a good place to get one...Specifically Central Indiana.
Do you have a Sportsman's Warehouse in your area? They carry Knight rifles?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you have a dealer close enough to drive to, you'll probably have to order. I know there are some online retailers that offer Knights at decent prices, but not sure who has what at this point and what type of prices you might have to pay.

I'd probably go to Knight direct - then you could get the bare primer ignition when you order and I think they ship for free. Most every store would have them with the full plastic jacket ignition I would guess, which means you have to order the nfpj setup from knight which is about $40 iirc.

Maybe someone else can chime in with options. I like the green stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.