HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Muzzleloaders.....scheming to buy one
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
If you enjoy tearing the rifle down for clean up, yes the Knights are fine rifles. I bought my first Knight (a little ol Wolverine) back in the early 90s. Took a truckload of deer with that lil gun plus a 368" bull in the Gila in NM. But eventually I grew tired of having to tear that thing down for proper cleanup: pull the scope off (via QRW Leupold rings), pull the trigger assembly, remove the bolt, pull the breech plug THEN begin cleaning & then reassemble all that after it all laid out & dried for an hour or so. The "Littlehorn" is Knights modern version of my 22" Wolverine. One thing I really must admit is that thing sure handled like a dream! Quick, fast & light in the woods. With a 209 conversion, 2 pellets of 777 & 250grn Barnes there was NOTHING inside of 150yds that was going to get away from that lil gun!

Some might love it, "part of the craft" they say. That's fine & more power to them. However I have other things I'd rather spend my time doing. So I bought a smokeless Savage ML-2 around 2003 & NEVER looked back. Now my 15yr old son has been bitten by the mzldr bug after he nailed a 152 inch 13pt with my Savage on our farm weekend before last. But since the Savs are no longer built, prices skyrocketed & the price tag for custom smokeless guns are idiotic, I think I'm going to buy him a TC Impact. A simple break action with quick plug removal & by shooting BH209 cleanup should only involve a few patches & a few shots of brake cleaner. (The standard cleanup equip for my Savage)
Your not up on the new Knights. Easier to clean then any brake open for sure. The old ones though you are correct.