Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Barnes 290 Grain T-EZ >

Barnes 290 Grain T-EZ

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes 290 Grain T-EZ

Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Banned

Stop trying to turn barnes into powerbelts it just aint going to work.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Actually Grouse, I was told by a few here "in the know" that both the Lehigh CF's and these Barnes depend on hydraulic force rather than impact to open up. They said that aids in penetration and less likelyhood of "blow ups". The Hide and Bone knock the tip back and BEGIN the opening but the hydraulic force is what "flowers" it.
You got wrong information. The Lehighs should not open by design if you shoot them thru a brick wall for example. A Barnes will mushroom if you do the same. The Lehigh needs a liquid of some sort to open and release the petals. That is what Dave will tell you from Lehigh. I honestly have never tested that or felt a reason to.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Don't know if I agree with this thought much.

Before changing my entire program, I shot Barnes for years and have taken over 300 whitetail with Expanders, TMZ and T-EZ bullets. EVERY bullet ever recovered indicated it performed perfectly. Even those found after passing through and found in the dirt.

I like everyone else, appreciate all of Ron's bullet testing. However.... one also has to understand that shooting into 1/2 gallon water jugs, is not shooting into an animal. Those water jugs, immediately upon impact explode because of the pressures, with no hide or muscle holding them intact. When the pressure lowers, the bullets may continue to pass through other jugs, slowing the bullet further. Water is also less dense than internal organs or fluids (lung shot). Yes, each bottle slows the bullet more, yet each bottle explodes until the velocity is low enough that the bullet merely passes though and into the phone book.
One of my buddies reminded me of two Deer shot in the shoulders with the 195 Barnes with excellent results. But if you miss that bone they pencil right on thru. I think the MZ Expanders work much better when not hitting bone. Not sure if Ron tested any of those.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Is there a difference besides color between the sabots of the 290 TMZ and 300 MZ?
The listed velocity of the Barnes 300 is faster than the 290 gr.
I wonder what the 290 gr. would do if the tip was pulled.
This Barnes info might help..

http://barnesbullets.com/muzzleloader-tips-tricks/
Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I can tell you a forum member using 247 gr. Thors - shot an elk this month in Oregon and the bullets penciled through.

We are hunting elk right now in Oregon and using Thro bullets , I have some questions and are we doing something wrong , We are getting pin hole pass threw's no expansion in the bullets ,, One of us was able to get a head shot on a yearling and I would expect a big exit hole ,,The 250 gr Thro bullet went straight threw the skull .500 hole in .500 hole out , It was originally hit left front shoulder bullet went threw shoulder down spine cut liver into out right side flank ,, Setup was a ,, CVA ML, 110 gr 3f Triple seven powder .
any help would be great ,,didn't retrieve bullets ,
Old 08-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
You got wrong information. The Lehighs should not open by design if you shoot them thru a brick wall for example. A Barnes will mushroom if you do the same. The Lehigh needs a liquid of some sort to open and release the petals. That is what Dave will tell you from Lehigh. I honestly have never tested that or felt a reason to.
I was told the Barnes worked on the same hydraulic force principle but hey, I could have been misinformed. Surely wouldn't be the first time.

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
How does a bullet blowing up (powerjunk) compare to a bullet not opening up at all?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhh Barnes, nope. Dispersal inside an animal will reduce pressures just as fast, if not faster, than those water jugs. It's the "water on the nose" that matters in the hydraulic force though. While yes the pressure waves are dispersing water from the jugs, that bullet is still encountering surface tension (and water has a little higher surface tension than blood) and resistance as well as pressure to open the bullet up.
Don't know if I agree with that.

Blood is made up of plasma and red blood cells. The red blood cells make up about 45% of the plasma. Blood forms threads, where as water does not. Plasma (blood) also has "viscoelastic" properties, which means that it exhibits both viscous and elastic behavior when deformed, unlike water. These elastic properties can cause blood to return to its original state, where as water will not. Although blood is not as thick as honey, both have the similar elastic properties.
Water does not have a higher surface tension than blood for the reasons mentioned above. But we're not just talking or comparing a jug filled with water or just blood, to shooting an animal. The animal has much more surface area consisting of veins, tissue, etc.

I've shot a lot of whitetail in my lifetime and never once seen a whitetail explode like a water bottle...........
Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

I was told the Barnes worked on the same hydraulic force principle but hey, I could have been misinformed. Surely wouldn't be the first time.

How does a bullet blowing up (powerjunk) compare to a bullet not opening up at all?
Believe it or not. I read a post where a guy shot a bull with a 250gr thor and his buddy shot an elk with a powerbelt. He said the recovered powerbelt didnt open up at all.

So much for bullet tests if its not on real game.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

What you're trying to say is that water doesn't jelly up.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I've shot a lot of whitetail in my lifetime and never once seen a whitetail explode like a water bottle...........
I have.

I built a .36cal muzzy a long time ago. Every rabbit I shot was ripped completely in half and gutted. A .36cal is NOT a good rabbit gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.