HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes 290 Grain T-EZ
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Uhhh Barnes, nope. Dispersal inside an animal will reduce pressures just as fast, if not faster, than those water jugs. It's the "water on the nose" that matters in the hydraulic force though. While yes the pressure waves are dispersing water from the jugs, that bullet is still encountering surface tension (and water has a little higher surface tension than blood) and resistance as well as pressure to open the bullet up.
Don't know if I agree with that.

Blood is made up of plasma and red blood cells. The red blood cells make up about 45% of the plasma. Blood forms threads, where as water does not. Plasma (blood) also has "viscoelastic" properties, which means that it exhibits both viscous and elastic behavior when deformed, unlike water. These elastic properties can cause blood to return to its original state, where as water will not. Although blood is not as thick as honey, both have the similar elastic properties.
Water does not have a higher surface tension than blood for the reasons mentioned above. But we're not just talking or comparing a jug filled with water or just blood, to shooting an animal. The animal has much more surface area consisting of veins, tissue, etc.

I've shot a lot of whitetail in my lifetime and never once seen a whitetail explode like a water bottle...........