Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who gets it?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:13 AM
Spike

I might be chiming in kinda late here but here goes, i would never feel right about a deer that was hit hard by someone else. i would let them have it but remind them the land is private and they should have asked. i have waited for hunters that have trespassed on my land keeping in mind that a confrontation is not worth my life. Neither is a deer as i have had one taken at gunpoint and i have had a nice life since then. Also back in 08 i shot a nice 8 point that ran up to me after another hunter missed. he approached and we talked it over, left the deer lie and went back to where he shot at it no blood until i fired where he started pouring blood we then went back to the deer and he shot at the right side me at the left. the exit wound was clearly on the right side. after all this i told him if there was one hair on his head that believed it was his deer to take it.....no questions asked. all he said was nice shot bud and went on his way.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You couldn't split it in Colorado. You can give away 20 lbs of meat to another hunter, and they can continue to hunt.

Not sure about other states.
All it takes to legally have deer meat in your possession is a tag number from the state here in Virginia. I can give meat away, but must give the recipient the tag number i got when I called it in. this year I killed four deer and gave three away.

Still have one more week to hunt at the end of our season and will more then likely give anything I shoot away.

PS:
Been hunting for 58 years now and have always know that the last person to put the killing shot into an animal, is the owner. Pretty sure this is a widely known and used idea!

Last edited by rafsob; 12-13-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
All it takes to legally have deer meat in your possession is a tag number from the state here in Virginia. I can give meat away, but must give the recipient the tag number i got when I called it in. this year I killed four deer and gave three away.

Still have one more week to hunt at the end of our season and will more then likely give anything I shoot away.

PS:
Been hunting for 58 years now and have always know that the last person to put the killing shot into an animal, is the owner. Pretty sure this is a widely known and used idea!
I'm sure every state has different laws about giving meat away. Colorado is kind of picky about it. They can actually come into our house, and check our freezer to make sure we have what we're suppose to have.

In the field if I give meat away there's paperwork that needs to be made. I have to prove who I gave it to, and they need to prove who gave them the meat. I could actually give away the whole animal in the field as long as it was just 20 lbs to each person receiving it from me. They don't even need to be hunters with tags.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been in this same scenerio but on public land and I shot and killed a deer that was sure to expire shortly. I young I man came down the blood trail and when he saw me over the deer he got that depressed look. But that turned to a big grin when I told he that he could have it and I just finished him off.
normally here in PA if . You kill it it is yours. In this case though the land owner had every right to take the deer.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I always ask the neighbors in advance before the deer season every year for permission to recover wounded deer if it should so happen.
I never have had any one come ask me in advance and the Jerk who used to hunt the horse farm thought it was his right to just come on my place. Last time he was by my pole barn with his bow. I had him laying in the mud till the cops got there. He decided I was not going to play that game of tracking a wounded deer with him.

I also practice, do not take chancy shots and so far never had one go on any one else's property.

I do procute trespassers

Al
Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by alleyyooper

I do procute trespassers

Al
This is something that needs to be done, always!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The one that always bothered me... it was very early morning. Just that early light in woods... so it was not all that light. I saw a buck coming through the thicket. I pulled up my 30-06 and the scope was fogged. Why it fogged, I was not sure. Maybe my excitement my breath fogged it. Wiped it off with my thumb as the buck was moving. Got the deer who was fast walking, in the crosshairs and fired. Down it went. A minute later it jumped back up and took off. So I waited. I figured it would lay back down and die. Finally went after it. Went over a couple hills. Excellent blood trail. Only to find a gut pile and drag marks to a road. Some hunter entering the woods must have watched it drop. He never fired a shot. And where it dropped... I doubt it would have been seen. But he found it, gutted it, and took it. Was I mad? Ya a little. it was a nice buck. And I did everything right to make right, the deer wounded, lay down, and to recover it. But those are the breaks. Shot a different buck that afternoon. I was glad it never became coyote bait.

One other time I was in my stand and saw a buck moving about 200 yards out, in the edge of the hardwoods. And I am sure you all know the walk, but something was not right about how the deer was walking. Plus I had heard two shots earlier. I pulled up with my 7mm mag and fired, dropping the buck. I no sooner started walking towards it when I heard yelling.. that's our buck.. we're tracking it... we're coming.. is it down? So I waited. In come two people I knew. The older man said.. I shot that buck running through the hard woods. I saw it was shot through the guts on the off side. And then my shoulder shot. So I smiled and said.. congratulations!! And walked off.
Holy smokes.How long did you wait and how far could the Buck have gone w/out you seein the fella with the deer?
Old 12-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
Holy smokes.How long did you wait and how far could the Buck have gone w/out you seein the fella with the deer?
I have friends in my club that can field dress in minutes!!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
The deer moved almost a half mile. I waited for 30 minutes before I even tracked it. I figured in that hill country it would just lay down and stiffen up. I went over about three hills and that's where the drag tracks were. Parts of Wisconsin have steep bluffs. Not mountains mind you, but they are still a heck of a hike up and down them.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I have friends in my club that can field dress in minutes!!!!
I have a friend that can gut a deer so fast, it would shock you. He zips them open and makes a could slashes in the cavity and rolls the whole works out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.