Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who gets it?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, primitive, it is not my way, I chose to comply with the law. There is no come back that way. When you start making up your own laws you cause problems. You may think it is honorable to give a deer away that the law says it yours, not tag it but have the other guy tag it and continue to hunt, I don't. Now, if you used your tag and then gave the deer to the other person, I could buy that as a good deed. If you don't like that mind set, tough crap! The reason there are laws concerning the ownership of game is because everyone has their own idea of what should be done.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-11-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't know why you even posted to me. I said what was legal to do in Colorado. It wasn't pointed at anybody, and didn't need to be quoted by you.

You went on to tell me you share half a deer with your buddy. I have no idea if that's legal or not. You never told me what state you're talking about, or whether it's legal.

Then you went on to tell me about sharing the meat is a good thing, and it meat, and not gold bullion.

I had already stated I give half the meat to a mission in an earlier post, so I have no idea why you gave me the smart azz answer about gold bullion?

Rude? Sorry you're so sensitive. You should get over that.
For godsake,Muley, I was agreeing with you, which is why I quoted you!

You said in CO you can give away 20 lbs and continue to hunt.
I said we've split deer.

We both give and take.

A direct contrast to oldtimr (also quoted) who, apparently, shares nothing.

My post has been edited accordingly and for increased clarity.

I'm sensitive? You sure about that?

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-11-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No, primitive, it is not my way, I chose to comply with the law. There is no come back that way. When you start making up your own laws you cause problems. You may think it is honorable to give a deer away that the law says it yours, not tag it but have the other guy tag it and continue to hunt, I don't. Now, if you used your tag and then gave the deer to the other person, I could buy that as a good deed. If you don't like that mind set, tough crap! The reason there are laws concerning the ownership of game is because everyone has their own idea of what should be done.
Your ignorance, in bold, is overwhelming.

I neither think that way, engage is such activity nor gave any indication of such.

Please refrain from making unwarranted assertions about me.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

The older I have gotten the less important antlers and such are. I still love to hunt but the camaraderie with my fellow hunters and family whip the thrill of a monster buck.There is no way I would of taken that deer if it was shot first by a kid. I may of given him and his Dad a little lecture on crossing property lines but I would of also given them my cell phone number to call me next time it happened so I could meet them at my property line and enjoy the fun of seeing a kid track and find a deer. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive
For godsake,Muley, I was agreeing with you, which is why I quoted you!

You said in CO you can give away 20 lbs and continue to hunt.
I said we've split deer.

We both give and take.

A direct contrast to oldtimr (also quoted) who, apparently, shares nothing.

My post has been edited accordingly and for increased clarity.

I'm sensitive? You sure about that?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Call me an old fart, but don't call me rude.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Spike

From http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=591990&mode=2
Whose Deer Is It?
Every year somewhere in Pennsylvania a couple of hunters shoot at and hit a deer, it goes down and both believe they've delivered the killing shot. Usually it works like this: The first hunter shoots and hits the deer. The deer stays on its feet and runs in front of the next hunter, who shoots and the deer goes down. By law, that deer belongs to the hunter who inflicts the mortal wound allowing that person to take possession of it. Sometimes it may take some time for the hunters involved to sort out who delivered the fatal shot. But if the second hunter tags the deer before the first hunter arrives on the scene, that hunter has taken possession. Game Commission officers do not arbitrate who should get, or is entitled to, the deer.

The biggest thing is to be calm, respectful, and use common sense. If the other party won't use common sense, let it go. walk away.

In general, I agree with putting a wounded deer down but you better have the right tag if you plan to do that. What if the person who wounded it doesn't come after it? My father put a non-fatal wound on a deer this year and it ran onto the neighbor. The neighbor thought it was mortally wounded and didn't want to put another hole in our deer. Then it shocked him by hauling butt down over his fields full speed. Tracked it another half mile and were lucky to find it and put it down. We'd have rather had the discussion about who would tag it than risk losing a wounded deer completely.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tell you what Primitive, since you decided to presume that I don't share, based on my response that the best course is to obey the law and not make up your own, I feel comfortable presuming what your intentions are. For the record, I probably gave away more venison than you have ever killed and I like venison. If you don't like this response, that is to bad. Up until you chimed in people were talking about what they thought should happen and where the deer in the OP's question should have gone, there was no animosity. Your initial comment to me was regarding a post I made to another person, not you. You can get personal if you want, but don't get your knickers in a twist if it comes back on you, You don't get a free shot at me.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-11-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

My first post on the subject:

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive
I read about this.

Despite the law, I personally like the coin flip idea; to me, it seems more than generous on the landowner's part.

While it may have been nice to give the deer to the boy, I feel it would have set him up to expect that same treatment in the future. This way, he learned how hunting really works,i.e; it's not a game and that there are morals,ethics and legalities involved.

Frankly, I think he got a lesson far more valuable than his first buck. Of course, it will take years for the boy to understand this...

I would have split the deer 50/50.
Your reply in the very next post:

How are you gonna do that? Only one person uses their tag, the other gets half the meat and gets to continue to hunt for another deer. No equality there, just a feel good idea until the one who burned their tag figures out the other guy got the best of him. Just follow the law and you will always be right, that is why the law is in place, it tells you the right thing to do.
Lastly:

...edit... Your initial comment to me was regarding a post I made to another person, not you. ...edit...
I don't think so.

As I encouraged you in another thread, you may prefer to put me on ignore if you are unable to tolerate a worldview which differs from your own.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I see the post I responded to was yours, I was wrong on that, the horror. However, what I refered to was the splitting the deer, why should one hunter have to burn his tag for half a deer and the other can continue hunting? You do whatever you want. I stated what I believe is right and in my state the law dictates ownership so everyone knows what to do. Sorry if doing the right thing galls you so much. Now if you would have said you would tag the deer and give it to the other guy I would not have disagreed. I doubt I will put you on ignor, can't wait to see your next hissy fit over nothing, perhaps you should take your own advice.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Stop the bashing please - that is what Private Message aka PM is for. Which far better suited for this type of drivel.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.