Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who gets it?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Settle it country style

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzRA2uJ5Zw
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by miketodd58
Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by livbucks
I would say the landowner was more accomodating than he had to be by agreeing to flip a coin. Even so, with a kid involved I would have conceded the buck to the young hunter and congratulated him and helped him with the recovery from my land. But that is just me.

By rights, the buck was the landowner's and he did give the kid a shot. Kid just got beat in the coin toss. Sometimes a boy needs to take it like a man to learn how to be one.

I agree with this. Luckily here in Iowa you do not need permission to enter someone property while tracking a deer. But the one thing you better not have in your possession is your weapon. Then it becomes illegal to cross into the next property.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oklahoma formerly had a law that allowed trespass while "searching for lost livestock". Not surprisingly, poachers, slob hunters and scofflaws used "searching for my lost livestock" as an excuse when caught trespassing. "I have the gun because of the wild hogs" was sometimes added.

Not surprisingly, land owners got tired of trespassing hunters and the legislature rescinded that old law a couple years ago. My complaints helped end that law.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58
Thanks for sharin. Nothin better than classic Carson with the great Buddy Hackett.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas,

I guess a lot of it depends on what kind of person you are on the INSIDE. Personally, I would have given the kid his deer and congratulated him. No coin toss, no... IT'S ON MY PROPERTY etc. If the deer was mortally wounded it probably went down (or was staggering) in front of the hunter that finished it off, he just wanted to claim it. It never should have came down to a lowly coin toss as far as I'm concerned.

Similar scenario happened to my niece when she was 16 yrs. old. She punched a 6 pt. buck (her first deer) through the lungs with a .243 and it turned and ran over the ridge top out of sight. While her Dad (my brother-in-law) was helping her track it, they heard a shot. When they crested the ridge they saw another hunter bent over the deer getting ready to gut it. My brother in law said the guy immediately went on the defensive and shouted "It's my deer!" My brother in law said the deer had a bullet wound just behind the shoulder and a bit high, but obviously through the lungs. He told the man..."That's my daughters deer." The guy said "Oh no, it was moving right along when I shot it." My brother in law said the guy shot it through the neck as it lay on the ground. He told me he picked it's head up by the antlers and could see the dirt and leaves that blew back into the exit wound because the flatland @#$%$# shot it after it lay on the ground dead. It was not a property issue, they were both hunting on a farmer's property who had allowed both permission. BUT, after that incident, the farmer who owns the land told my brother in law that the other individual would no longer be welcome.

It takes all kinds. Personally, I have no use for someone that will take a deer from another hunter... especially a young hunter or someone that's never harvested a deer yet.

BPS
Old 12-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I have no use for someone that will take a deer from another hunter... especially a young hunter or someone that's never harvested a deer yet.
My feelings exactly. When it comes to claiming a deer i will defer to the kid every time.

Hunting is dying out in many states for a variety of reasons. Our sport needs young hunters.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Personally, I have no use for someone that will take a deer from another hunter... especially a young hunter or someone that's never harvested a deer yet.

BPS
Amen to that, BPS...