Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Barnes Performance (Graphic) >

Barnes Performance (Graphic)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes Performance (Graphic)

Old 12-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Cayu I've used the Barnes xpanders out of my Savage for years as well. I think it's more marketing than anything. Some guys just think the same that applies to their 3Kfps centerfires must apply to their 2Kfps "lugnut chucker" smokepoles. Performance wise ON the animal, no there is no difference! The "slicker" shape of the tipped, lightweight (250 is light in a 45cal pill) does "in theory" yield better ballistics but many would be shocked what simply switching to 300+ grns would do for them. The retained velocity overcomes their lack of initial muzzle velocity. Inside of 250yds I'd MUCH rather have my 300Xpander than ANY of the 250s. I'm NOT shooting my front stuffer over 250yds to begin with so for me I'll forgo the plastic tips and instead prefer to hit them with a big old hole that only gets BIGGER!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm planning on testing out the 195's in my .45 elite soon. Where is the best place to buy them?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Cayu I've used the Barnes xpanders out of my Savage for years as well. I think it's more marketing than anything. Some guys just think the same that applies to their 3Kfps centerfires must apply to their 2Kfps "lugnut chucker" smokepoles. Performance wise ON the animal, no there is no difference! The "slicker" shape of the tipped, lightweight (250 is light in a 45cal pill) does "in theory" yield better ballistics but many would be shocked what simply switching to 300+ grns would do for them. The retained velocity overcomes their lack of initial muzzle velocity. Inside of 250yds I'd MUCH rather have my 300Xpander than ANY of the 250s. I'm NOT shooting my front stuffer over 250yds to begin with so for me I'll forgo the plastic tips and instead prefer to hit them with a big old hole that only gets BIGGER!

These 250 grain plastic tipped barnes shoot and do well for me. Between my brother and I the results that I had on this deer are the norm for these bullets. I have shot 300 grain bullets on deer before and there really hasn't been any difference. I mean I really couldn't imagine there being any more damage done or at least anything significant with the 300 grain expander although I wouldn't hesitate to use them either. These ones shoot very well out of my rifle and obviously perform great so I don't see the need for anything else. Also, as you can see the plastic tip comes out and the bullet is expanding very quickly. The neck of a deer is not very much to travel through but the bullet opened up quite well.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the few recovered Barnes 250gr TMZ bullets. Friend shot a deer in the chest and it stopped just shot of exiting the hide on a rear quarter.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! That is impressive performance! Congrats on the nice shot and harvest.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

That really is impressive expansion in a bullet. I don't know how it could do better.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a meat man and this is not what I would want for my freezer!!! Way too much damage for me. I'll stick with my XTP and Parker bullets.

Wondering if too much powder was used with this bullet?? You sure that a HEI (High Explosive Incendiary) bullet wasn't used???

Last edited by rafsob; 12-08-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
These 250 grain plastic tipped barnes shoot and do well for me. Between my brother and I the results that I had on this deer are the norm for these bullets. I have shot 300 grain bullets on deer before and there really hasn't been any difference. I mean I really couldn't imagine there being any more damage done or at least anything significant with the 300 grain expander although I wouldn't hesitate to use them either. These ones shoot very well out of my rifle and obviously perform great so I don't see the need for anything else. Also, as you can see the plastic tip comes out and the bullet is expanding very quickly. The neck of a deer is not very much to travel through but the bullet opened up quite well.
Oh I agree, the 250 is fine for broadside, sub 150yd shots on most deer. The reason I shoot the 300 is for shots over 150 and ESPECIALLY for assurances of FULL penetration, even when FULL penetration means entering the south end of a northbound 220#er! On whitetails, the 250s will shoot thru about 2+ft of light bone, guts and hide. The 300s will plow easily thru 3ft and in some cases 4ft of bone, hide and guts. I just go prepared for WHATEVER shot they present vs hoping and waiting for the perfect shot. As long as I can reach the vitals from a given shot angle, I can take it regardless of how much "matter" is between or behind those vitals.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have taken quite a few whitetail over 200yds with the TMZ bullet in 250gr. As soon as I can get the 290's to shoot and group, I'll be using those from the new rifle.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting the south end of a northbound deer is something I just can't make myself do.

Not criticizing you HatchieLuvr, it's just not for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.