HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes Performance (Graphic)
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM
chaded
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Cayu I've used the Barnes xpanders out of my Savage for years as well. I think it's more marketing than anything. Some guys just think the same that applies to their 3Kfps centerfires must apply to their 2Kfps "lugnut chucker" smokepoles. Performance wise ON the animal, no there is no difference! The "slicker" shape of the tipped, lightweight (250 is light in a 45cal pill) does "in theory" yield better ballistics but many would be shocked what simply switching to 300+ grns would do for them. The retained velocity overcomes their lack of initial muzzle velocity. Inside of 250yds I'd MUCH rather have my 300Xpander than ANY of the 250s. I'm NOT shooting my front stuffer over 250yds to begin with so for me I'll forgo the plastic tips and instead prefer to hit them with a big old hole that only gets BIGGER!

These 250 grain plastic tipped barnes shoot and do well for me. Between my brother and I the results that I had on this deer are the norm for these bullets. I have shot 300 grain bullets on deer before and there really hasn't been any difference. I mean I really couldn't imagine there being any more damage done or at least anything significant with the 300 grain expander although I wouldn't hesitate to use them either. These ones shoot very well out of my rifle and obviously perform great so I don't see the need for anything else. Also, as you can see the plastic tip comes out and the bullet is expanding very quickly. The neck of a deer is not very much to travel through but the bullet opened up quite well.