HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes Performance (Graphic)
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
These 250 grain plastic tipped barnes shoot and do well for me. Between my brother and I the results that I had on this deer are the norm for these bullets. I have shot 300 grain bullets on deer before and there really hasn't been any difference. I mean I really couldn't imagine there being any more damage done or at least anything significant with the 300 grain expander although I wouldn't hesitate to use them either. These ones shoot very well out of my rifle and obviously perform great so I don't see the need for anything else. Also, as you can see the plastic tip comes out and the bullet is expanding very quickly. The neck of a deer is not very much to travel through but the bullet opened up quite well.
Oh I agree, the 250 is fine for broadside, sub 150yd shots on most deer. The reason I shoot the 300 is for shots over 150 and ESPECIALLY for assurances of FULL penetration, even when FULL penetration means entering the south end of a northbound 220#er! On whitetails, the 250s will shoot thru about 2+ft of light bone, guts and hide. The 300s will plow easily thru 3ft and in some cases 4ft of bone, hide and guts. I just go prepared for WHATEVER shot they present vs hoping and waiting for the perfect shot. As long as I can reach the vitals from a given shot angle, I can take it regardless of how much "matter" is between or behind those vitals.