Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Drop In Barrels

Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

check your PM
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

No sir have to call or write a letter. http://www.therifleshoppe.com/contact.htm

For Ed Cain who assembles barrel blanks you can email him. Would just have to ask him what all blanks he deals with. http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/
Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought of that, but then I have a 26" barrel. I need a longer barrel to help me see the front sight.

It's only $100? Do they have a web site?

It's not so much the front sight with me nowadays, but I'd like to have the rear sight slid forward more because it's kinda fuzzy to me anymore on most of my rifles. I read somewhere that there were original longrifles built back in the day that later owners discovered had actually had the rear sight moved forward as the original owner's eyesight must have changed over the years.

BPS
Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just deal with a fuzzy rear sight. My front sight is fuzzy too, so even if I moved the rear sight to the front of the barrel it would still be fuzzy.

Even the target is fuzzy. I really have learned to shoot with everything fuzzy. I can even win BP shoots.

With that said, I realized a longer barrel wouldn't help that much. Last night I found a box of 460gr NoExcuses bullets that I had forgot I had. I had just shot a couple of them to feel the recoil when I first got the Renegade. I never tried them on a target to see how accurate they were.

I wanted to try them, because I haven't been happy with any conical i've tried so far. They all either loaded too hard, too easy, or weren't accurate. So, these NoExcuses were my last try with lead conicals.

The 1st thing I liked was the way they loaded. I could start them with thumb pressure. Good, I don't need a ball starter. I hate carrying one when hunting.

The 2nd plus was they had a nice even pressure all the way down, and would stay on the powder while moving around hunting.

The 3rd plus is they turned out to be very accurate. My max range is 75 yds with open sights. They were holding a nice consistent group shooting from a knee. My favorite hunting field position.

The 4th plus was I could load 4 in a row with no swabbing. Perfect for hunting.

The 5th plus, and this one is extremely important. I have complete faith in their terminal performance at my range and powder load.

My powder of choice is Olde Enysford. A strong black powder equal to Swiss in power, but $10 less a lb. I settled on 80gr for my yardage. Recoil is a non issue, and it shoots flat out to my yardage. I'm sure what the BC is on the bullet, but it's fairly long at 460gr, so it's probably not too bad. A nice wide meplat that should hit hard.

The last 6th plus is the price. $25 for a box of 50 prelubed. Hard to beat.

I like them so much that i've forgotten about changing the barrel. I've got my load, and i'll just stay with it now.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If this will work for anyone else I know not. I use reading glasses that let me see the sights clear I find I can hit a target that is fuzzy but if I do not get the sights line up because they are too fuzzy I will miss a lot.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It took me awhile to find the combination that works for me. Here's a picture of my rear sight. A wide v sight. I use a TC fiber optic front sight. It's the smallest FO sight i've ever seen. Much smaller than the stock front sight.

I find it easy to drop that front FO sight into the middle of that rear sight pictured. Even when it's not in focus. The dark rear sight, and that glowing little front sight is easy to line up. Then it's just a matter of setting the front glowing front sight right under the target for a 6 o'clock hold. I'm amazed at how fast I can get it on the target, and be accurate with it. Even when nothing is in focus.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pete

Have you ever tried a rear tang - Peep Sight?

My eyes are not good either but with the peep it really doesn't matter because all you doing is looking through a whole at the front sight.

Beginning the installation of a TC Tang Sight

Have no idea if this would help you or not...

mike
Old 09-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have tried it. Not on the Renegade, but other guns. I actually do better with my present setup.

I understand how a peep works, but I have a theory why it doesn't work well for me. Your brain will automatically center the aperture without any input from me. However, to do that the eye still needs to see it. Even if i'm no conscientiously looking at it. Anything that close to my eye is extremely blurry. I'm thinking my brain is having a hard time centering the aperture when it can't see it clearly.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I seem to be more accurate with my present setup. I will admit that a peep does clear up the target, and front sight some, but I still have to look through the aperture which puts a haze on everything even if the detail is sharper. If that makes any sense to you.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

The PRB thing is eating away at me. As good as the NoExcuses work, I still want to shoot more traditional.

I got ahold of Bobby Hoyt's phone#, and left a message. Right after hunting season is over i'll send him my barrel to be bored out to .58 with a slow twist.

I read on another forum that someone sent him a Renegade .50 barrel, and had Bobby make it a .58 with a 1-90 twist, .007 rifling depth, and narrow lands with wide grooves. He said it shoots cloverleafs. I'll ask Bobby if he still recommends that combo. It's a pretty slow twist for a 26" barrel, but it seems to work. The guy was using a .575 ball, pillow ticking patch, and 120gr of 2f Goex. Stout load, but will seem easy after these 460gr NoExcuses.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

He does fine work that's for sure and the price is right. Has been 50 to rebore and 50 to put in rifling for years. Can't say on the twist. I just shoot 60 gr in the couple he did in 58. Sorry don't know the twist, just told him RB .575 and .010 patch. I've heard folks say he will cut however many grooves you want and so on. I just let him do what he does. He knows more about it than I do. The ones I have from him and Rayle both do very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.