Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
HIP REPLACEMENT part 2 >

HIP REPLACEMENT part 2

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

HIP REPLACEMENT part 2

Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Hey rafsob,

For God and Sonny Jesus' sake... take time to heal up and don't try to be Superman right out of the gate. Make sure you're able to navigate OK before you start gettin' rambunctious!! We're expecting to see pictures of you with some of those skinny lil' VA deer that you shoot like rabbits again this season!!..LOL!!... Seriously Bud... I hope all goes well and you have a great 2014 hunting season!

BPS
I will, I promise. I'm actually am getting around the house with no cane! And I'm taking it very easy.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

.... Just had a total hip replacement myself.. the surgeon said the operation went well, but it was a real mess in there, due to me putting it off for so long and really grinding things up. He had to do some pretty extensive repair, I guess. Kept me off my new hip for 4 weeks. No weight bearing on it at all. Had to hop on one leg with a walker, and spent 4 weeks in a skilled nursing facility with therapy daily. I am home now, however, and doing well. Walking with a cane for a little balance and support, doing a fair amount of walking just holding the cane for assurance. I will say that ALL of the pain I previously had in my hip and knee are totally gone. Just soreness in the affected area and some residual swelling, which is slowly going away. I do have home physical therapy workouts I do daily. Everyone says I am really doing good, and I feel I am also. Hope to be back to most normal activities ASAP.....
Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Pawildman
.... Just had a total hip replacement myself.. the surgeon said the operation went well, but it was a real mess in there, due to me putting it off for so long and really grinding things up. He had to do some pretty extensive repair, I guess. Kept me off my new hip for 4 weeks. No weight bearing on it at all. Had to hop on one leg with a walker, and spent 4 weeks in a skilled nursing facility with therapy daily. I am home now, however, and doing well. Walking with a cane for a little balance and support, doing a fair amount of walking just holding the cane for assurance. I will say that ALL of the pain I previously had in my hip and knee are totally gone. Just soreness in the affected area and some residual swelling, which is slowly going away. I do have home physical therapy workouts I do daily. Everyone says I am really doing good, and I feel I am also. Hope to be back to most normal activities ASAP.....
Good for you pal. My only problem is what I call crazy pain. It will start to hurt in different parts of my left leg. Now this is as if my nerves in that leg are going nuts whacko!!! Other then that I'm doing great. Get to see my surgeon on Wednesday. I'm happy. I do need to build up my strength in my left leg.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Good for you pal. My only problem is what I call crazy pain. It will start to hurt in different parts of my left leg. Now this is as if my nerves in that leg are going nuts whacko!!! Other then that I'm doing great. Get to see my surgeon on Wednesday. I'm happy. I do need to build up my strength in my left leg.

I think I may know what you mean by nerves and/or muscles acting up. My operation was on my right hip, and about three weeks after that, occasionally I would get "involuntary" spasms, were my lower leg and foot would go nuts, twitching and convulsing for a short period of time.. always when I was sitting in a recliner or laying in bed with my feet elevated. It has gradually gone away, as I've not had that for some time now. Lord only knows what the cutting, sawing, pounding and cementing has caused to happen in there. Hope your discomfort goes away soon, also...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Hey Buddy, glad to hear from you. The pain came directly from the joint. It was a degenerative arthritis and the pain was getting worse and worse every day. I had to take pain meds to get through the day. I'm thinking that this was the best move I have made in a long time. The operation was last tuesday and I can actually walk with out a cane or walker. The only pain I'm having now is after my rehab exercises. I am taking Ultram/Tramadol for it. It takes the edge off and I'm actually feeling good. I have started to walk around my neighborhood circle and it is working nicely. After that I ice it for a few hours.

Hope all is well of you and the bride!! It was a very nasty winter for us down here in Virginia, but it was vey nasty for you guys up state NY.
Glad all is working out for ya. Yes the past winter here was the worst I ever experienced, I've never seen so many continuous below zero days in a row, they seemed to go on for ever. Plus I never experienced -40 Below Zero, now that was COLD! Our Spring is off to a real SLOW start, cool and lot's of Rain, it looks like things will finally start to turn around this coming week end. Were doing well, Thank's and Wishing you a Full and Fast Recovery!
All My Best!
(BP)
Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Pawildman
I think I may know what you mean by nerves and/or muscles acting up. My operation was on my right hip, and about three weeks after that, occasionally I would get "involuntary" spasms, were my lower leg and foot would go nuts, twitching and convulsing for a short period of time.. always when I was sitting in a recliner or laying in bed with my feet elevated. It has gradually gone away, as I've not had that for some time now. Lord only knows what the cutting, sawing, pounding and cementing has caused to happen in there. Hope your discomfort goes away soon, also...
Well it did stop finally. But I think my problem was that damned Tramadol. I had been taking it for months and I found out it was the lowest level of opiate. I think I developed a dependency for it and I ended up going through a with drawl. Been a few weeks now and I'm feeling great!

I'm working on building up my strength in this hip. Not sure if I'll be climbing any trees this fall, but will give it a try.